Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2016 20:00

XPS 8900 with Geforce 745 doesn't support Windows 10???

I ordered my XPS from Dell Business with the GeForce 745 installed about 3 weeks ago.  It shipped with Windows 7 but the recovery disk was Windows 10.

It was a bear to install Windows 10 and now the Nvidia drivers don't recognize the video card after multiple uninstalls etc.  After 40 minutes on tech support chat tonight I was told by tech support that this computer DOES NOT SUPPORT THE WINDOWS 10 DRIVERS.

After all this am I really going to have to pack this computer up and ship it back?  I was told to call either software support or Dell support, but the implication was that this is not a fixable problem.  Is Dell really shipping out computers that can't run Windows 10?

2 Posts

May 17th, 2016 11:00

I ordered my XPS 8900 with a NVidia 730 about a week ago... I am packing mine up and shipping it back!

Mine came with Windows 10 on it and nVidia drivers installed and the system is unstable out of the box.  The video blinks out frequently, occasionally throws windows errors "The video driver has stopped functioning" and it takes over 7 minutes to reboot (shut down and restart).

After doing a reload with the original image... problem resists.  After doing a complete fresh Windows 10 install, checking the Bios version and trying different nVidia drivers THE SYSTEM IS NOT STABLE!!!!.

I pulled the nVidia card and ran my 4K monitor off of the Intel integrated video and the system was perfectly stable.  No more video blinking out, no more windows errors, system reboots in under 30 seconds.

I did a little research and found a long list of Dell XPS / nVidia incompatibility problems.  It seems Dell is just ignoring these issues with no concern for their customers.

Pack it up and send it back!!!!  Your life will be a lot easier without one of these XPS turds!

4 Posts

May 17th, 2016 19:00

Ah, in-house tech support (aka hubby) managed to fix it.  I don't know why they decided it wasn't compatible, but apparently they just don't want to deal with these systems (which I was told "belong to Enterprise" and so aren't part of Dell's regular product line or something).

1 Message

May 18th, 2016 11:00

So, what was the fix? Would be nice to know. I have an XPS with the 745 card coming.

No Events found!