Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2017 11:00

XPS 8910-Win 10, Keyboard, mouse, wifi frequently not working after waking up from sleep and monitor turning black constantly

Bought this desktop about 6 months ago. It had been working well for a few months and then a number of issues turned up. Keyboard and mouse would not response at all and monitor is off after the computer wakes up from sleep or fresh restart; wiif is disconnected and no wifi network is shown; the monitor (Dell P2715Q) would suddenly flicker constantly (one second black and a few seconds normal display). These problems can go away if I restart the computer, sometimes once, and sometimes a few times.

I can't remember if this had anything to do with BIO upgrade. My feeling is that it has no connection.

These problems are very ignoring. I shall appreciate suggestions to resolve these problems. Thank you.

Paul

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 11:00

BTW: If you bought this PC 6 months ago and it's still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support asap.

You might need a new motherboard and/or a new hard drive so let them help you fix it...

• 

16.7K Posts

July 11th, 2017 07:00

pchen088,

Not enough data. We need to know what Windows 10 updates you installed which may have caused the issues. If it was working for a few months, then all of a sudden not working sounds like a Windows update causing this to happen.

9 Posts

July 11th, 2017 10:00

I just checked my Win 10 update history. The oldest updates were recorded 5/29/2017 and 5/30/2017, which were way before those issues occurred. The 5/1/2017 update is Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 and 5/30/2017 was NVIDIA - Display - 5/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.21.13.8205. I remember that I updated the NVIDIA driver hoping to address the monitor flickering issue but it didn't work. I believe  rolled back the display driver. The keyboard and mouse non-responsiveness occurred to another Dell computer I have too. Again, all those issues appear randomly, once a while.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 11th, 2017 11:00

Reboot and *immediately* press F2 to open BIOS setup.

Make sure the "USB Wake" (or similarly worded) option is Enabled.  Don't change any other BIOS settings, but save the change to USB Wake, if you made it, before exiting setup.

9 Posts

I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your prompt response.

9 Posts

I was able to change the USB wake setting. Hope it works but I have way of knowing if that solved the problem because it happens randomly. Any suggestion about the monitor flickering and Wifi issues? By the way, about the wifi problem, when it happened, it usually showed the LAN network icon in place of wifi icon. When I checked the network adapter setting, I found wifi was disabled (I disabled the LAN network too). I also tried to solve the problem by updating the wifi driver but it didn't seem to help with this randomly occurring problem.

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 11th, 2017 13:00

Open Device Manager in Win 10 and look for the entry for your WiFi card. Double-click the entry and then click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Click OK back to desktop. Reboot.

Then open the Win 10 Power options page. Identify the active Power plan and click the link to change its settings. On next screen, click link for Advanced options. On the new screen, look for the WiFi adapter settings option in list at left and reduce the amount of power savings.

Next, click the Sleep option on that list and disable Hybrid Sleep, and set Hibernation to never.

Now, click the PCI Express entry on that list. Verify that Link State Power Management is OFF. Save the changes to the Power plan if prompted and reboot.

See if those changes help both the WiFi and video issues.

If the monitor still flickers, we'll need more info. How is the monitor connected to the PC, eg HDMI, DP...? Is the monitor connected to an add-in video card or to onboard video?

What add-in video card do you have and do you have the latest drivers for both Intel HD Graphics and for your specific video card?

Can you test a different monitor on this PC? That might tell you if the problem is with your original monitor or with the video card in the XPS 8910...

9 Posts

July 21st, 2017 21:00

I tried suggested measures but the problems remain. There is another problem. The system freezes sometimes and showed a stop code. Then it would run a hardware scan which would say hardware scan complete with no issue but no bootable devices were found. It would then run initializing process and finally shut the system down. The system would usually run normally after restarted.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 24th, 2017 15:00

Post the exact stop code here.

9 Posts

August 1st, 2017 13:00

The stop code is: Unexpected store exception.

9 Posts

August 1st, 2017 13:00

All my problems have not been solved and are getting worse (occur more frequent). Again here is the list:

1. USB keyboard and mouse inactive at startup

2. Flickering screen (Displayport connection. Sometimes it stops if you turn off the monitor power and back on)

3. Blue (dead) screen (stop code is: Unexpected store exception)

4. Wifi disconnect

Thank you.

Paul

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2017 16:00

"Unexpected store exception" seems to be a common Win 10 problem and may be related to running McAfee antiviral software. You might want to uninstall McAfee and revert to Windows Defender. But before you do,  be sure you've registered your McAfee subscription at their site so you can download it again for free, if it's not the problem and you want to re-install it again.

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for options to run diagnostics and run extended HDD tests. Copy error messages, if any...

Make sure you have all the latest drivers, including chipsets, video (both Nvidia and Intel Graphics), WiFi, etc.

Are mouse and keyboard connected to USB2 or USB3 ports on rear of PC? Try connecting to USB3 ports.

There are at least 2 other threads about mouse and keyboard not working when connected to USB2 after booting the XPS 8910. I posted some suggestions there that you might want to consider:

en.community.dell.com/.../21011406

9 Posts

August 1st, 2017 22:00

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the response. I don't have any anti virus programs installed beside Win Defender. This can be ruled out. What are the other possible fixes?

I will try other things you suggested. Thanks again.

Paul

9 Posts

August 1st, 2017 22:00

By the way, my keyboard and mouse are connected to USB 3 ports. So that is not an issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 11:00

Does monitor flicker if you connect it to DisplayPort on a different PC? Or does a different DP monitor flicker when connected to this PC?

No Events found!