Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2017 22:00

XPS 8920 Ridiculously loud and annoying fan.

So I just bought a new Dell XPS 8920 and I've had it new, out of the box, for less than an hour and I'm already thinking of returning it to Costco because it is RIDICULOUSLY LOUD.  By far already the most annoying computer I've ever had.  Now if there is a way to tone this down then great, please let me know.  However if not then I'm going to return it within the three month period and get something different.  

Things I'm not going to do:

- open and vacuum in it, it's freaking brand new, I shouldn't need to do that.

- Take it somewhere to have the fan looked at or replaced.

Seriously I can't believe Dell sold this computer with this fan.  

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 12th, 2017 08:00

Hi Chaoticmind77,

Thanks for posting.

Another user with a similar problem postsed this resolution:

"This is what I did to quiet the noisy fan in my XPS 8910.

In Control Panel under 'Power Options' I chose my default Dell power plan and picked 'Edit Plan Settings' then chose 'Change Advanced Power Settings'. I then went down to 'Processor Power Management' and changed 'Maximum Processor State' from 100% to 90%. I also set 'System Cooling Policy' to 'Passive'.

Stopping the CPU from hitting 100% has stopped the PSU fan from revving like a jet engine. My system is much quieter now during gaming."

Not sure if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

• 

17K Posts

October 12th, 2017 08:00

CHAOTICMIND77,

Click the link below for information troubleshooting the fan noise. There is also a link to your system to update the bios. 

Troubleshooting fan noise

Dell xps 8920 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

October 12th, 2017 13:00

Nothing worked. Not to mentioned it crashed already. Frame rate was horrible for doing anything and the fan ramped up for any activity and nothing seemed to change including the tweeks. The fact I even had these problems on a brand new out of the box item is utterly ridiculous. I will never again buy a Dell product and thank God I bought it at Costco.

8 Posts

November 1st, 2017 14:00

I have a similar problem. I've had my XPS for a couple months now and the fan noise began a week or two ago. Before that it was a thing of beauty. My guess is that some driver or other software upgrade messed something up. I'm with you on not vacuuming or taking the computer somewhere to be looked at. This is my fourth XPS over the past 20 years and I'm surprised as well. Funny thing, when I started typing this message the fan calmed down. Unfortunately, I know it'll start again though.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 1st, 2017 17:00

WendSar - Did you recently update to the Win 10 Fall Creators Update?

You can try setting Max CPU state to 90% in the Windows Power plan as was mentioned above.

If that doesn't help, you might want to manually set a System Restore point, to be safe, and then roll back the video drivers to their previous version for both Intel HD Graphics and AMD or NVidia add-in video card, whichever you have,  in Device Manager.

8 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 07:00

I have a similar problem to ChoaticMind. I tried your suggestions yesterday and so far I haven't had the fan noise. It's cool this morning, so I'm waiting for the house to warm a bit. So far, so good.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 12:00

Which suggestion(s) seems to have worked, setting CPU to 90% or rolling back the video drivers?

8 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 09:00

Hi RoHe... I made both changes, but my drivers were already up to date. I'll try one or the other of the setting changes, but for now I'm good. Today has been a good test and the system is fine.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

No Events found!