Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2017 13:00

XPS 8930, Thoughts and minor mods/upgrades

Hey folks,

Wanted to share some thoughts about the new XPS 8930, as so far Google searches of first-hand accounts (outside of reviews) are pretty barren. I used to build my own systems until I picked up an XPS 8700 refurbished for a great deal about four or five years ago. I was pretty impressed by the build and performance, so when a few coupons and other deals lined up for the 8930 a few weeks ago, I jumped on it.

I maxed out quite a few features with the i7-8700k and GTX 1080. One of the first things I wanted to do was to replace the 480w power supply with something a little beefier, just to ensure that I wouldn't run into any power problems when adding more accessories down the road. There's plenty of data that the 480w supply should be enough, but I wanted to be sure, and PSU's aren't too expensive.

Lo and behold, though the PSU upgrade looks easy as it sits on a swing-out arm, it is not. I didn't notice until I was about to do the switch that one of the motherboard power connectors runs behind the processor heatsink, and literally plugs in with almost zero clearance behind the offset processor fan.  Replacing the PSU looks like it would require completely removing the motherboard from the case, and then removing the heatsink/fan from the processor to get to the plug, re-applying thermal paste on reinstall, etc. This is not a procedure I care to perform on a brand new, in-warranty system, so I guess I'll live with the 480w PSU.

Under load while gaming, both the GTX 1080 and the i7-8700k tend to top out around 82-85c or so.  This is a little higher than I expected, so I'm going to look into adding a fan to the front of the case to draw in more cool air. I'm a little disappointed by the very small amount of clearance between the PSU and the processor fan, though, and I think that adding another case fan will probably benefit the GPU more than the CPU given those clearances. There is an internal grill area that looks like it might take a 120mm fan. Going to try that and report back. In the meantime, if any intrepid folks go to the trouble of adding water cooling, I'd be interested to hear the details.

One annoyance is the top-mounted exhaust fan. It tends to spin up and down slightly pretty regularly, almost sounding like it's 'wheezing'. I'd much prefer it to just stay on a constant low speed. Perhaps this can be changed in a BIOS update. I tried SpeedFan to see if it could control it, and it does not show anything.

Anyway, just wanted to try to start a discussion with other new 8930 owners.  Thanks!

5 Posts

November 26th, 2017 16:00

I found this thread when having some of the same issues mentioned above.

I got the 8700K version, and I put my GTX 1080 in it (given that they sell a configuration with one installed), but even without generating a good amount of heat, the top fan was so loud, you'd think I was running the vacuum cleaner.

I love quiet PCs. I moved from a Precision T3620 to this, and I think I'm going back to my 7700K just because of the noise.

5 Posts

November 26th, 2017 16:00

On the other hand, if you're running the non-K version, perhaps it runs cooler.

I to like the internal configuration as moving the hard drive slots to the bottom of the chassis, made for a MUCH easier installation of my video card. However, it definitely is all cramped in there really nicely, so there can't be that much room for internal cooling.

For reference, I'm only running SSDs, so no spinning drives inside the computer to add to the heat. GTX 1080, Sound Blaster, M.2 SSD. That's it.

5 Posts

November 28th, 2017 15:00

Hello Koeven, can you share what brand/model of Power Supply did you use in replacing your old one? I'm worried that I might be buying a wrong physical size that will not fit the swing-out arm.

1 Message

November 29th, 2017 17:00

Hi,

Next week I will receive my xps 8930 with an i5 8600k, I was wondering if anyone has experienced any overheat and loud fan when gaming without overclocking the cpu?

Thank you

5 Posts

November 29th, 2017 23:00

Hello Chris:

Do you have any idea about the dimensions of the power supply p/n WC1T4? I’m looking to upgrade the power supply that will fit the swing-out arm of the XPS 8930.

10 Posts

November 30th, 2017 06:00

Also wanted to post that my dissatisfaction with the 8930 became too great and I decided to return it.  Too loud, too hot.  Ended up building my own system for a hundred more or so with the 8700k and 1080 Ti.  CPU temps don't get above 42c while gaming, as it should be... unlike the 8930 where they'd be in the mid-80's!

5 Posts

November 30th, 2017 23:00

Thanks Koeven for sharing the brand/model of your Power Supply. I’ll choose between EVGA and Corsair PS but I’m leaning at the Corsair brand.

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

Can someone confirm speed of Samsung 960/960 pro nvme on 8930.  Is it limited to half speed of 1500MB/s like Dell 8765 or full speed of 3000MB/s?

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

The k chips run at 95watts tdp, non k at 65watts tdp.  Need water cooling for k chips and 1080vc and huge case with massive oversized fans.  

Appears that 8700 CPU with 1070 will not be very noisy in the 8930.

Swilliams,. Can you share your motherboard to get idea of great system.  

140 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 14:00

It runs at full speed.  I have a 960 EVO on my 8930.   Running CrystalDiskMark I get 3272 MB/s read and 1905 MB/s write speeds.  It also ran at full speed on the 8910.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2017 14:00

I ended up building my own with a ASUS Prime Z370‑A for the motherboard.

25 Posts

December 27th, 2017 04:00

if you can see it - could you please let me know the part number of that CPU cooler and fan. I have an XPS 8930 i7-8700 (non-k) and that has a very basic CPU cooler resulting in the CPU getting hot (and the fans getting noisy) under load. (Thanks to your advice I will know that if I replace the stock cooler with the same one that you have I will need to get a 4 pin extension cable so that I can later change the PSU without having to remove the CPU assembly.)

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

December 30th, 2017 18:00

Hi All,

I just got a 8930 delivered with 32GB (4 x 8GB) RAM and the 1 TB M2 SSD.  I did not buy any mechanical hard disks from Dell.  I added 3 x 4TB SATA hard disks that were working perfectly in another enclosure.  The computer sounds like a fan is hitting either a wire or an enclosure or their is some issue with the internal ball bearings of the fan.  I verified that this clicking sound is not due to either the CPU fan or the top exhaust fan leaving only the power supply as a culprit.  (I ran the appropriate diagnostics on those fans).  I have not tested the computer with all hard disks disconnected, but the sounds are not hard disk clicking.

I opened up the chassis and observed the power supply while the computer was running.  There was a slight vibration in the power supply housing that was not present elsewhere, and it seemed like the vibrations were consistent with the sounds I was hearing.  On shutting the computer down, the sounds stopped EXACTLY the instant the power supply fan stopped turning.

Has anyone has this issue with the 8930 or with any other computer?  I have contacted Dell tech support and am hoping that early next week I can get a technician to come out and replace the PSU.  I wouldn't mind it if there was a local shop I can take the computer to although the warranty does have 1 year of on site servicing.

No Events found!