Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2009 00:00

ULTIMATE NEWS I RECIEVED MY DELL STUDIO XPS 8000 TODAY.
ORDERED ON 29 NOVEMBER

DELIEVERED ON 25 DEECEMBER

I LIVE IN INDIA IF THAT HELPS:LOOKS LIKE DELL IS IMPROVING

WILL OPEN MY BOX AND TELL U WHETHER ALL I ORDERED IS THERE ALTHOUGH IT SAYS IN TAX INVOICE THAT EVERYTRHINGS CORRECT

THE WEIRD PART OF IT ALL IS THAT IS STILL SHOWS WORK IN PROGRESS ON MY ORDER STATUS PAGE:SO PPL DONT BE FOOLED BY THAT PAGE:UR PC MAY ARRIVE EVEN IF IT SHOWS WORK IN PROGRESS

5 Posts

December 25th, 2009 03:00

XPS 9000

Order date: 15-Dec-2009
18-Dec-2009: Your order is in material shortage now

POOR SERVICE!

:emotion-12:

4 Posts

December 25th, 2009 08:00

Mine was delivered at 130 yesterday afternoon.  So that makes it 11 days from first order, 6 days from reorder.  Oh, and on the reorder the thief of a salesman added the Dell Tune up for an additional $29 and I did not catch it.  It is very sad when a company with Dell's reputation sinks to such a level.  One reason I wanted to buy from Dell was to not have to worry about them trying to attach items to my sale I did not want.  So much for that.  Chris, if you are monitoring, who do I report that to?

The good side, in my case, is that I got the computer quickly and as I ordered it, the hardware.  And I like it very much, nice easy setup, fast.

5 Posts

December 25th, 2009 23:00

Larusco, when did you get your updated new EDD of 12/24?  My system is almost identical to yours, I ordered a day later and had the same OEDD and now new EDD of 1/5.  Since you have received yours maybe there is hope for me.

152 Posts

December 26th, 2009 07:00

ShinyTop,

As I have mentioned before, your system looks like mine. but I ordered on 12/09 and I got the updated date to 01/06. Probably you system was built in another warehouse.

**Does anyone know if they work on weekends (Production Team).

39 Posts

December 26th, 2009 17:00

On 12/11 I received my new EDD of 1/5/10.  I never received an email when it updated to the 12/24 EDD, it just showed up on the order status.

46 Posts

December 27th, 2009 02:00

I finally received my XPS 9000 on 12/23. The specs on it are:

1 224-4399 Studio XPS 9000 $150
1 310-0173 Airborne Documentation, System Exchanges,Factory Install $0.00
1 313-3607 No modem requested for Dell Dimension $0.00
1 313-4514 No Speaker Requested $0.00
1 313-7186 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio $0.00
1 313-8757 Roxio 10.3, Easy CD & DVD $0.00
1 313-8916 16X DVD+/-RW Drive $0.00
1 317-0067 Studio XPS 9000, Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz) $561
1 317-0078 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz $180
1 320-7810 No Monitor $0.00
1 320-8404 ATI Radeon HD 5870 $330
1 330-0172 S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Desktops $0.00
1 330-3826 Dell Studio USB Optical Mouse $10
1 330-3828 Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard, US $25
1 330-6097 You have chosen a Windows 7 System $0.00
1 341-8518 750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM $100
1 410-1867 ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE $0.00
1 412-1397 No Productivity Software requested $0.00
1 420-6436 PC-Restore, Dim/Insp $0.00
1 420-6576 DELL WELCOME,Software Dimension/Inspiron $0.00
1 420-7938 Dell Connect 2.1 $0.00
1 420-8873 Dell Dock Consumer $0.00
1 420-9691 DataSafe Local BackUp 2.0 Basic $0.00
1 421-0323 Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface $0.00
1 421-0530 Dell Support Center 2.0 64bit $0.00
1 421-1183 Download Store Links $0.00
1 421-1412 Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Playback $0.00
1 421-1603 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English $0.00
1 461-8389 No Virus Protection Requested $0.00

The order was placed on 11/27 by Dell as a replacement for my defective 435MT.  I was told on 11/27 that it would take 7-10 days for it to ship, but I was already aware of this thread and figured otherwise.  My account info never showed a delivery date, so I finally called on 12/21 and was told I would get an update within 24 hours.  Five minutes after the call my account info showed it as shipped.

With Christmas and all, I didn't have a chance to set it up until Saturday evening.  I pulled it out of the box and was surprised by the size and weight of the XPS 9000 compared to the 435MT.  I opened the case and checked to make sure that none of the cables were loose and that the video card and memory were all properly seated.  Then I closed the case and connected the monitors, keyboard and mouse.  I turned it on and finished the basic Windows setup.  I also confirmed that it was correctly showing the 8GB of RAM and the 750GB hard drive.  I rebooted the system several times and it was very fast and the fans were quiet, especially when compared to my 435MT.  I noticed that there was a card with the computer that explained that there was no driver CD and it pointed to the Dell website for downloading of any pre-loaded software or drivers.  I then went to the Dell website and downloaded the drivers in case of a problem.  I had just finished downloading the drivers when all of a sudden both monitors went black.  I moved the mouse and tapped various keys on the keyboard without any change.  I used the power button to shut down the system.  Then I turned it back on to reboot, but it would not boot at all, just black screens and a slightly louder fan noise than when it was running Windows normally.  I again shut it off with the power button, then opened the case and checked to make sure everything was connected properly.  That made no difference. 

I then contacted Dell tech support with my laptop via their online chat, explaining what had happened.  I spent probably an hour chatting with the rep, who had me try numerous things in hopes of correcting the problem, but nothing worked.  He then said they would setup a service call and have a tech come out and replace the motherboard and memory to see if that would correct the problem.  I said thanks, but that I instead wanted this unit replaced.  The whole point I made of getting them to send me the new computer instead of a refurbished 435MT was to keep from having problems and I surely have no faith in a system they need to start replacing parts on when I hadn't even had a chance to really use it yet.  The rep checked with his supervisor and eventually told me they would send me a new unit in exchange. He further stated "the system that you had previously and what you have now are end of life, we will go ahead and build a new system for you, and it will meet all the specs."  I'm still not sure what he meant by this one being end of life, but since they were doing the replacement as I requested, I didn't seek to clarify it. 

So, I am once again waiting for another XPS 9000.  I just hope this one will arrive quicker than the last and actually work this time.

Chris

152 Posts

December 27th, 2009 12:00

KJWills,

I am wondering if your machine's delay has been caused by GTX 260 as I have never seen it in 8000 config. when I ordered mine on 12/09 I didn't see it as an option. Probably they have ran out but I am not sure why they are no conntacting you to solve the problem.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT DELL!!

17 Posts

December 27th, 2009 14:00

nimche,

Back in November the GTX 260 was also an upgrade - They have since removed it from the configurations .. I also thought this might be the issue, but was assured from customer service that it was not and that there were in fact no shortages or  delays with any of the parts. The only excuse I have been given thus far is that the model I ordered (XPS 8000) was in such high demand it was/is every other order Dell was taking. 

Along with the EPP pricing I recieved I was also given a $100 discount on upgrading the monitor to a 23" due to false advertising issue ... Therefore I think the discount may be the real underlying issue here, as Dell is not wanting to honor the quote I was given and ordered.

10 Posts

December 27th, 2009 15:00

I ordered my XPS 9000 on 11/27 and finally got it on 12/23.  Here's some of the drama I've had with this order on top of the delays:

• Fedex lost the package for 2 days after it arrived at the local Fedex facility.  They told me to file a claim for it as lost in transit, then somehow found it.
  • I unboxed it and it wouldn't connect to my wired network.  Windows networking reported that it couldn't obtain a valid IP configuration.  Dell "My Tech Team" support (it was amazing to speak to a guy in Seattle) walked me through all the troubleshooting.  Delete the network card in device manager, reinstall drivers, reinstalled the factory OS image from the recovery partition,  connect it directly to the cat 5 cable on my cable modem, etc.  The RJ45 port showed link lights, but the machine refused to connect.  He scheduled a service tech to come out and replace the mother board.  The next day I configured the wireless connection just to see if it would work, and it did.  So I downloaded windows updates, did a few other things and then noticed that the ethernet card looked active.  I disabled the wireless card and rebooted and it connected fine.  I canceled the service call.  By the way, they don't send out factory new mother boards as replacements, they send out refurbs.  I decided to keep the new mobo.
  • Someone about 10 pages back in this thread mentioned that the 9000 won't work with a consumer grade UPS, and that you need one that outputs a pure sine wave on battery.  Here's one of several threads that discuss the problem:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19276236/19567662.aspx?PageIndex=1

It's true.  The 9000 went down hard when it was connected to a standard 750 VA APC UPS and I pulled the plug.  I bought an APC Smart-UPS 750 that's a server grade UPS that outputs a pure sine wave on battery, and it's fine on that unit when it switches to battery.  Buy.com has them for about $240 with free shipping.  Newegg wanted $26 to ship it.  It's a very nice UPS, and with the CPU and monitor plugged in it's using about  28% of the available load, so a 750 VA unit is plenty big enough.  I have everything else plugged into my old UPS.

The good news is that the 9000 is a very sweet machine.  The build quality is excellent and it's very fast.  Good luck to everyone who's still waiting, and I hope your delivery and setup goes more smoothly than mine did.

152 Posts

December 27th, 2009 18:00

The moderator is now deleting my posts concerning my reporting DELL to the BBB.

Nice.

Did you expect more? Thats all they do specially on Sunday night when you are bored./

17 Posts

December 27th, 2009 18:00

The moderator is now deleting my posts concerning my reporting DELL to the BBB.

Nice.

1 Message

December 28th, 2009 00:00

I'm trying to be patient, but being on hold for hours and hours  while they transfer you from one person to another person and they still can’t answer my questions and then reading how people are receiving there’s orders and I'm still waiting, if they delay me one more time I will report them to the BBB. Ordered on Nov-21-09 Estimated delivery on Dec-30-09 (After 3 Delays).

Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i7-860 processor - 8GB DDR3 - Dell 23 inch ST2310 Widescreen Flat Panel - 1024MB nVidia GeForce GT220 - 1TB Serial ATA II Hard Drive 7200 RPM

My patience is wearing thin

1 Message

December 28th, 2009 07:00

So, I have also been hung up on 3 times. Lied to about call backs and I have a documented e-mail support with screen captures that received no response.  This would have been my 3rd XPS. The first was fine, the second was the 700 which was part of the whole delayed fiasco. It died on me 3 weeks ago as the board kept crashing and then just stopped.  I tried to get customer support however they wouldn't talk to me or get me a supervisor without taking my credit card info as I was out of warranty.  It was nice to visit these boards and see that there was a major issue with the BTX motherboard however Dell didn't seem to care about contacting it's customers.

Dell, you can look up my account. 2 XPS laptops, 6 PC's for my office. 2 XPS gaming P.C.'s, another laptop.  Way to treat a loyal customer who's also bought printers, monitors and other peripherals from you.

I've screen capped this as well as I figure someone will delete it.  I'm still waiting on my call back from Ref# 809366551.

I'll spend that time looking for another P.C. from a competitor and then canceling my order.  After that, I'll let everyone know that Dell is great as long as all you need is a box from them on some random date. After that, there is absolutely NO SUPPORT whatsoever.

152 Posts

December 28th, 2009 08:00

So, I have also been hung up on 3 times. Lied to about call backs and I have a documented e-mail support with screen captures that received no response.  This would have been my 3rd XPS. The first was fine, the second was the 700 which was part of the whole delayed fiasco. It died on me 3 weeks ago as the board kept crashing and then just stopped.  I tried to get customer support however they wouldn't talk to me or get me a supervisor without taking my credit card info as I was out of warranty.  It was nice to visit these boards and see that there was a major issue with the BTX motherboard however Dell didn't seem to care about contacting it's customers.

Dell, you can look up my account. 2 XPS laptops, 6 PC's for my office. 2 XPS gaming P.C.'s, another laptop.  Way to treat a loyal customer who's also bought printers, monitors and other peripherals from you.

I've screen capped this as well as I figure someone will delete it.  I'm still waiting on my call back from Ref# 809366551.

I'll spend that time looking for another P.C. from a competitor and then canceling my order.  After that, I'll let everyone know that Dell is great as long as all you need is a box from them on some random date. After that, there is absolutely NO SUPPORT whatsoever.

Well being said.

No Events found!