This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2016 12:00

XPS 9100 Memory upgrade

REPOST: For some reason only half of my message was posted.  =/

Hi Everyone,

I've been having a hard time finding the info I need so here goes nothing:

I have this older dell computer with mobo 05DN3X .  XPS 9100 built for me around Sept 2010.

What ram can I use that WILL work with this system?  In another forum, someone recommended ripjaws: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231356&cm_re=rip_jaws-_-20-231-356-_-Product#top

Or 24gbs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359

It looks faster but it should still work right?

Also: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145350

Which just looks cooler. 

Would any of these work in my system?  I was reading about low and high density memory

and someone said my system will only take low density.  How do you determine that?

Any insight is appreciated and thank you!

August 21st, 2016 21:00

Just to follow up on this:

Well, that really didn't answer my question. =/  

I took the advice from another forum and bought the 24gb rip jaws from gskill days before your reply.  I also emailed GSKILL and they said it would work.  I got it in less than 24 hours and presto, they work like magic.  Only about 120 bucks for 24gbs of DDR2  1333mzh ram.  

A nice upgrade for this older machine.   The motherboard is x58 so the type of memory I need is this older low density kind.  

Come on Dell, you guys gotta do better than this.  There should be some kind of info in our system profiles (when you type in the service tag number) that clearly shows which and what kind of upgrades we can make.   Perhaps I would have just bought it from you rather than spending hours researching on other forums.  

• 

16.7K Posts

August 10th, 2016 08:00

PSYCHEDLICSIGHTS ,

Below are the memory specs and memory configuration information for the 9100. The links to your memory options do not seem to meet the specs to work.

Type 1333-MHz DDR3 DIMM; non-ECC memory only
Memory connectors Six
Memory capacities 1 GB, 2GB, and 4 GB
Minimum memory 3 GB
Maximum memory 24 GB\

Memory

The Studio XPS™ 9100 system uses 1333 MHz DDR3 unbuffered SDRAM. DDR3 SDRAM or double-data-rate three synchronous dynamic random access memory is a random access memory technology. It is a part of the SDRAM family of technologies, which is one of many DRAM (dynamic random access memory) implementations, and is an evolutionary improvement over its predecessor, DDR2 SDRAM.

Its primary benefit is the ability to run its I/O bus at four times the speed of the memory cells it contains, thus enabling faster bus speeds and higher peak throughputs than earlier technologies. This is achieved at the cost of higher latency. Also, the DDR3 standard allows for chip capacities of 512 mebibit to 8 gibibit, effectively enabling memory modules of maximum 16 gibibyte in size.

DDR3 memory comes with a promise of a power consumption reduction of 30% compared to current commercial DDR2 modules due to DDR3’s 1.5 V supply voltage, compared to DDR2’s 1.8 V or DDR’s 2.5 V. This supply voltage works well with the 90 nm fabrication technology used for most DDR3 chips. Some manufacturers further propose to use "dual-gate" transistors to reduce leakage of current.

The main benefit of DDR3 comes from the higher bandwidth made possible by DDR3’s 8 bit deep prefetch buffer, whereas DDR2’s is 4 bits, and DDR’s is 2 bits deep.

Theoretically, these modules could transfer data at the effective clock rate of 800-1600 MHz (using both edges of a 400-800 MHz I/O clock), compared to DDR2’s current range of effective 400-800 MHz (200-400 MHz clock) or DDR’s range of 200-400 MHz (100-200 MHz). To date, such bandwidth requirements have been mainly found in the graphics market, where fast transfer of information between framebuffers is required.

Memory Modes Supported

The Studio XPS™ 9100 supports the following memory mode operations with performance depending on configuration:

• Triple-channel symmetric mode, in which all channels are populated with the same size memory. This configuration yields peak memory performance as all channels are used simultaneously.
  • Triple-channel asymmetric mode, in which all channels are populated but with different memory amounts. This configuration yields the performance of a single channel of memory with the combined memory size of the three channels.
  • Single-channel mode, in which only one channel is populated. 

Memory Modules
Standard name     Memory clock      Cycle time            I/O Bus clock      Data transfers per second
DDR3-1333              166 MHz              6ns                      10667 MB/s                             1333 Million

Module Name        Peak Transfer Rate
PC3-10600                  10667 MB/s

NOTE:
DDR3 DIMMs have 240 pins, the same number as DDR2, and are the same size, but are electrically incompatible and have a different key notch location.

Features

DDR3 SDRAM Components:

• Introduction of asynchronous RESET pin
  • Support of system level flight time compensation
  • On-DIMM Mirror friendly DRAM pin out
  • Introduction of CWL (CAS Write Latency) per speed bin
  • On-die IO calibration engine
  • READ and WRITE calibration

DDR3 Modules:

• Fly-by command/address/control bus with On-DIMM termination
  • High precision calibration resistors

Advantages compared to DDR2

• Higher bandwidth performance increase (up to effective 1600 MHz)
  • Performance increase at low power (longer battery life in laptops)
  • Enhanced low power features
  • Improved thermal design (cooler)

Disadvantages compared to DDR2

• Commonly higher CAS Latency
  • Generally costs much more than equivalent DDR2 memory for now 

No Events found!