Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2011 13:00

XPS / Dimension One - XP licence / Install issue

I'm looking to install XP on the Dimension One, but I'm having issues when using a Dell XP disk as it won't activate. The code given then won't "work" when using the microsoft phone line.

I thought a Dell XP disk would / should work. Shouldn't a Dell disk just install (which happens) AND activate?

I have noticed when in the BIOS, a Service Tag doesn't show and wondered if this has anything to do with it. Should I upgrade the BIOS?

Although there are no XP drivers on the site I have seen threads where users have installed XP without issues.

My question is not so much about that, but just being able to correctly and easily activate the product with XP. I have three of them to do for a client. I have the Vista Ultimate disks and an XP Pro disk (although not sure this desk came with the system or is from something else as client handed over all their disks!).

Do I contact Microsoft, Dell , both or neither?! Any help much appreciated,

Cheers,

Matt

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 2nd, 2011 13:00

You cannot use a "Dell XP" CD on an Inspiron One.

This is not a legal licence and it won't Activate because the OEM Info in the bios does not contain an XP Licence nor

COA Key.

You will have to buy a Retail XP Disk OR Oem Disk that has a Legit Key.

Since Microsoft has withdrawn XP from the market however this will be difficult at best.

No Events found!