Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2009 15:00

XPS/Dimension One not starting

When I power on my XPS/Dimension One it gets through POST and starts loading Windows (Vista), but then it sounds several beeps and then recycles the power to start the process all over again.  I've have gone to the BIOS to look at the settings, but it kicks me out of there also after sounding several beeps and restarts the system.  It almost seems like it's on a timer to restart.  I haven't timed it yet, but that's what I'm experiencing.

UPDATE - About 9 seconds after starting while displaying the large DELL logo in blue and the bios information I hear a series of beeps (1 Loud, 2 Small...1 Loud, 1 Small, 1 Loud).  At 48 seconds the power shuts off and then it restarts again and goes through the same cycle.  Doesn't matter if I'm in the BIOS or trying to start Windows Vista.  This machine is possessed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Stewart - forum newbie.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 6th, 2009 16:00

Welcome!

Look up that beep code on page 39, here.

Then contact Dell Tech Support for repairs, assuming it's still under warranty.

Ron

4 Posts

August 17th, 2009 01:00

Ron,

Thanks for pointing me to the manual with the beep codes, but I'm not clear as to what I'm hearing.  I'll try to describe it to you.  I hear a total of six beeps but there are low pitch beeps and high pitch beeps in this pattern - low high high, low high, low.  So is that 6 beeps or 3 beeps?  Do I count all the beeps or just the low pitch beeps.  I'm still a bit confused.  I called Dell support and the first tech told me that I had Premium North American Support.  He gave me a different number and attempted to transfer me, but I was dumped back in the normal queue.  When I attempted to get back to a tech, I was told that I don't have any addtional support.  It was very frustrating and I just want to know the problem so I can resolve it.  Any clue on the beeps?

Thanks again,

Michael

4 Posts

August 17th, 2009 10:00

Ron,

Thanks for the update.  As you mentioned, there is a brief pause between beep sequences - LHH, pause, LH, pause, L. 

I'll call tech support and try to figure out the warranty issue.  When I look at the service tag online it does show an active warranty with North American Support until 2012, which is what the first tech that I spoke with confirmed.  It was the screener during the second call who said there was no warranty; even after I said that I saw something online when I enter the service tag.  He argued with me so I ended the call.

Anyway, it sounds like some kind of hardware failure as you suggested.  I'll have to take it up with Dell support and see where I go from here.

Thanks again,

Michael

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 17th, 2009 10:00

I wouldn't be too concerned about the tone of the beeps, just the number.  If there's a brief pause between the first three (LHH) and the next three (LHL), then you have beep code 3. If there's no pause, then it's beep code 6. And if it is code 6, there should be a pause before the next 6 beeps.

Both code 3 and 6 mean a hardware failure so there isn't much you can do except get Tech Support to fix it under warranty, most likely with a new motherboard.

Look on your invoice to see if you paid extra for "premium" service...

Ron

No Events found!