Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2008 19:00

XPS MELTDOWN!!!!!!!!!

Hello, everyone I hope someone can help me, I purchased a XPS 710 15 months ago and have barely used it. Today I tried to use it and had a problem with it coming on , I called Dell and they did some trouble shooting and the motherboard and power supply are both gone. And it seems I only had a one year warranty, but my question is really, I paid alot for this machine, should it be going out like this? When called Dell to ask them the same question I kept getting shuffled to different depatments and all anyone could tell me was to pay Dell for pats(maybe refurbished) and labor. I own a small business and have bought more than twenty computers over the last 10 years and their polite indifference to my concerns I felt was just wrong. And I can't figure out the chain of command, I asked to speak to a manager and all they could tell me is the same thing the jr. rep said. This computer costs way too much to burn after a year of very light use. What do I do now?

14.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2008 20:00

Im surprised they even did any troubleshootin with you outside of your warranty period with out charging.

Infortunaltly this is a faily common problem reported here. 

While Dell's normal troubleshooting would be to replace both the motherboard and the powersupply both proably do not need to be repaced. to help us help you further isolate the problem try these things. 

Press the power button. Note the color and condition of the light in the button  (flashing/steady)

Look at the diagnostic lights on the front of the computer do any light up

Listen for the fans and the disks to spin up. 

Report back with the results.

30 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 21:00

I just experienced something similar,  luckily I was under warranty.  This makes me feel that maybe the psu's are not the greatest parts in these machines.

Try to leave the machine unplugged for about 20 minutes, then try to plug it back in.  If the fans briefly spin up it may start upon pressing the power button. 

If not,  you may wish to buy a power supply tester,  (they are cheap - $20 online).  

If the power supply tester shows no reading it may just be the power supply.  

If that is true, then you have the option of trying to get a replacement power supply from Dell, since you won't be able to use a standard (3rd party) power supply.

436 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 13:00

A 1 year warranty means 12 months, not 15 months or so. 

Dell can offer you to start up your warranty again for a cost.

If you are a business then get a Dell Optiplex or Precesion workstation that come standard with a 3 year warranty.

12 Posts

October 4th, 2008 12:00

That's a joke. The more I read on these forums the more I realize that I should send my dell back.
No Events found!