Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2013 19:00

XPS One 2710 Graphics card upgrade?

Is the graphics card on this thing upgradable? Like can I put a GeForce GTX 670, 680, or even a 690? And what about the power supply? Is there one with more wattage for this AIO-PC? I just got this computer, and I am a heavy gamer now, but the 640M just isn't pushing what I want it to. It can run everything fine, but I would like to do so much more. So can this be upgraded?

12 Posts

May 26th, 2013 10:00

Hey there.. from everything I've read and discussed both with Dell and outside Techie's (like me) and all saying the same thing.. No it's not easily upgradeable it's soldered to the board (granted how handy are you with a soldering iron) The Video Card is not easily accessible and is behind the main board (you have to gut the Dell to get to it).. once you find it you have to remove it with a soldering iron and replace it.. things to be VERY VERY concerned with.. One.. you lose your warrantee even if you have extended it you've lost it if you do this uplift. 2. It's really complex and not for the faint at heart, we are talking soldering chips first off and then onto the Motherboard. If you don't know what your doing here you can completely destroy your motherboard in a matter of seconds 3. Your uplift can only go as far as another GPU with the same power consumption / frequency requirements as the M640 GPU which depending on what you have in mind when you say "I'd like it to do so much more" I don't think you'll get a huge boost with any options available that are compatible. 4. Heat dissipation could be a major issue, it's already running hot with an M640 at full power it definitely can't handle any more heat being added to the inside of the chassis. 5. This machine was not built as a Gaming whore's toy, it's intent was for General Home / Business usage with some lighter gaming thrown in as a competitive edge over other AIO's.

So to answer the question directly - Yes you can (with a lot of work, loss of warrantee and possibly blowing your system from here to high heaven if you make one mistake during the uplift)

So the second question is - should you.. well :-) how deep is your pocket book? Do you care about the warrantee (this is one expensive toy to play with) - Personally.. NO YOU SHOULD NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME :-)

The ball is in your court here.. high points:

1. Very complex

2. Need a soldering gun and lots of guts

3. Have to find another GPU that has similar power/frequency specs to work (not many options here)

4. Power supply in side the XPS from what I can tell is non upgradeable (I'll look into this deeper)

5. Heat dissipation is going to be a major issue (not much room inside the chassis to change the existing cooling mechanisms)

6. Loss of warrantee

Hope this helps.

3.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 02:00

Hi soshite,

The XPS One 2710 ships with both integrated and discrete graphic options.

Integrated (UMA) — Intel HD 2500/4000 Graphics sharing the system memory

Discrete — nVidia GeForce GT 640M with 2 GB GDDR5 memory

The following table provides the processors/integrated graphics combination.

XPS 2710 ships with 235W Power Supply Assembly which is not recommended to upgrade.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

20 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 17:00

.. Right, like I said I have the 640M discrete card, but, is there a way to upgrade that card specifically? And why is the power supply not recommended to upgrade?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 4th, 2013 12:00

soshite,

The XPS One 2710 was never designed with upgrading in mind. The upgrading of power supplies and video cards was designed in the Alienware line of computers.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2013 10:00

Ok, undestood but, maybe the question is:

the discrete card is integrated on the motherboard (one piece with it) or is it upgradeable like some MXM laptop cards ? Thanks...

20 Posts

February 11th, 2013 21:00

But if possible, is there ANYTHING I can upgrade it to? Come on, there's got to be SOMETHING

3 Posts

May 27th, 2013 01:00

Good, finally the right complete answer, thanks !

12 Posts

October 10th, 2013 10:00

Now with the new XPS 2720 out, the upgrade of 2710 could perhaps take different path than mucking with soldering the GPU but that only if there were any possibility to put your hand on the new 2720 motherboard (it has Nvidia GT750M), perhaps including the powersupply.

For now that is not a big issue I suppose but when I had the 2710 opened, I had been considering some possible future upgrade and my first thought was that one could just stick in some more powerful motherboard, even different from Dell perhaps, but then I started looking at the details and I saw the touch display connectors on the motherboard and the riser card for the peripherals (that could be hacked by cutting hole in the back cover in pinch if using classic mobo) and especially the touch controls would seem to rule out any future motherboard upgrade except if one could get innards from some future Dell model of this machine, like now I'd think it wouldn't be worth it with 2720 but maybe 2730 or better, if they keep improving the line?

Is there any chance in the future of getting hold of the replacement mobo for upgrade from Dell? Or from third parties with some hacking? I suppose it would have to be Dell if one didn't want to sacrifice the touch ability? Or maybe the touch thing might become standard with motherboards in general and many will include it? But I have no idea how Dell specific that is on this motherboard, with this display.

Related thought to upgrading - is there some use for that second onboard socket that the manual says is there for TV tuner, which I doubt people will put in?

1.3K Posts

April 14th, 2014 06:00

Now with the new XPS 2720 out, the upgrade of 2710 could perhaps take different path than mucking with soldering the GPU but that only if there were any possibility to put your hand on the new 2720 motherboard (it has Nvidia GT750M), perhaps including the powersupply.

For now that is not a big issue I suppose but when I had the 2710 opened, I had been considering some possible future upgrade and my first thought was that one could just stick in some more powerful motherboard, even different from Dell perhaps, but then I started looking at the details and I saw the touch display connectors on the motherboard and the riser card for the peripherals (that could be hacked by cutting hole in the back cover in pinch if using classic mobo) and especially the touch controls would seem to rule out any future motherboard upgrade except if one could get innards from some future Dell model of this machine, like now I'd think it wouldn't be worth it with 2720 but maybe 2730 or better, if they keep improving the line?

Is there any chance in the future of getting hold of the replacement mobo for upgrade from Dell? Or from third parties with some hacking? I suppose it would have to be Dell if one didn't want to sacrifice the touch ability? Or maybe the touch thing might become standard with motherboards in general and many will include it? But I have no idea how Dell specific that is on this motherboard, with this display.

Related thought to upgrading - is there some use for that second onboard socket that the manual says is there for TV tuner, which I doubt people will put in?

You can pick up a replacement 2720 motherboard from a variety of sources. New from third party vendors, the 2720 with graphics runs around $480 USD before shipping. Second hand pulls run about half that. Keep in mind that the 2720 utilizes the Haswell Central Processor, while the 2710 utilizes the Ivy Bridge Central Processor, so in effect you will need a new low power CPU as well because the LGA socket is different. I have not seen the XPS 2720 motherboard offered by Dell Direct Spare Parts as of this date. Assuming your XPS 2710 is out of warranty by now, the cost to upgrade your existing unit to an XPS 2720 is cost prohibitive due to the difference in CPU socket. You can actually buy a Dell Outlet XPS 2720 with processor and graphics card and warranty for the same price as an upgrade. FYI the motherboard number you would need with graphics card installed : Dell XPS One 2720 PC Desktop Motherboard 5R2TK

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 14th, 2014 08:00

You cannot use a soldering Iron to change surface mount Parts.:emotion-3:

6 Posts

November 9th, 2015 15:00

I have a 2710 with a g17rr mother board intergrated video can i replace the mother board with the 3vtj7 or even 2720 board?

No Events found!