Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2013 23:00

XPS One 2710 apparent failure

I bought an XPS One 2710 around December 2012 with Windows 8 installed. Today I returned home to find the computer having a black screen with a small grey line like a cursor about 25% down and 25% over from the top left of the screen. It doesn't blink or move or let me type however. The computer does not respond to any keyboard or mouse input. If I reset it by either powering down with the power button, or powering down unplugging and plugging back in and powering up, it just loads up the same cursor in the corner. It never seems to load bios or give a Dell or windows splash screen, just goes strait to this little line on the screen.

I tried everything I could think of to get it to work to no avail. 

Funny thing is, I posted previously that the front buttons that control the switch between PC and HDMI didn't work (which I didn't get any response for), and now those buttons are the only thing that work. Hopefully I didn't end up buying a really expensive monitor. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.5K Posts

May 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi ruggedmug,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the link below which would help you resolve this issue:

http://dell.to/YanpRq

Kindly perform these steps and let us know, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

119 Posts

May 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the computer:

- Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer

-Then remove power cable

-Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds

- Reconnect the power cable and run your computer

Awaiting your response

5 Posts

May 12th, 2013 09:00

I tried this, but it didn't work. Just comes up to the same screen.

5 Posts

May 12th, 2013 09:00

The computer does powerup. All the fans come on, then the little dash appears on the screen. THe HD light comes on for a second. Then it doesn't do anything else.

1.5K Posts

May 12th, 2013 23:00

Hi ruggedmug,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. Please check the link below to run diagnostics on the system:

http://dell.to/164mwx3

Kindly perform these steps and let us know, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

May 13th, 2013 07:00

So, I did try this. It doesn't work. As I said earlier, the computer never gets to any splash screens just goes strait to displaying a small dash about 25% down and 25% over from the top left hand side of the screen.

1.5K Posts

May 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi ruggedmug,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue.  If the system is under warranty then please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

And, if the system is out of warranty then you contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

No Events found!