Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 31st, 2016 06:00

XPS One 2720 System Fan Error at startup ?

Hello,

I am getting a system fan error at startup on my XPS One 2720.

I opened the system and cleaned out the fans and they appear to be in good working order. Also ran the Dell pre boot diagnostics and the fans and thermals all pass. The error comes up at post randomly. I've updated the bios and checked the settings; this particular bios does not have a setting to ignore errors other than keyboard errors.

Thanks,

DiAngelo

January 31st, 2016 07:00

Hi DiAngelo,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Fan noise or errors are usually caused due to the dust accumulation on the fan, poor ventilation, out of date BIOS etc...

Updating the BIOS and cleaning the fan & vents resolves the fan issues most of the time. Even though the BIOS doesn't mention about the fan errors, it does update the temperature table of the system which will help with functioning of the fan. 

In case, you still find any errors, please reply with the error and also the screenshot (if possible) and we will proceed with the next steps. 

40 Posts

February 5th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for responding. I don't get the fan error message every time, and I checked and cleaned the CPU, Power, and GPU fans. They all appear to work properly.

My latest Bios is A13.  My guess is that this is a false error:

System Fan Failure.
Press F1 to Continue F2 to Enter Setup

Thanks,

DiAngelo

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 5th, 2016 10:00

When you get that fan error, do you hear the fan running?

It's possible the fan sometimes fails to start or has a delay in starting which might give the error.

Did you reseat the fan connector to the motherboard?

40 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 15:00

The fan is running. I checked all connectors and reseated it on the motherboard and I occasionally still get the system fan error at start up. I suspect that the A13 bios is to blame.

No Events found!