Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2008 01:00

XPS One bluetooth mouse problem.

When I click the scroll wheel on my mouse while on a web page it displays a magnifying glass with a plus sign in it. What I want it to do is a "middle click". In Firefox I use this to open a link in a new tab. In other applications I use it to close a tab. I downloaded the latest version of SetPoint from the Logitech site but am hesitant to install it. Any ideas?

14.4K Posts

May 19th, 2008 13:00

open control panel select the mouse icon use the tabs to configure the buttons..

7 Posts

May 19th, 2008 21:00

I have tried that but there is no option for setting the action when the scroll wheel is pressed. Vertical and horizontal scrolling are the only options on the Wheel tab. Nothing for the scroll wheel press on the Buttons tab either.

Message Edited by TxDot on 05-19-2008 05:41 PM

7 Posts

May 19th, 2008 23:00

It is a Dell branded mouse though I believe it is made by Logitech. They are listed as

Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard
Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
HID-compliant mouse
Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

14.4K Posts

May 19th, 2008 23:00

what mouse do you have and what os are you running.

I have a logitch mx700 under vista x64 when i press the wheel it give me the up/down arrows in a circle to aid in scrolling up and down ..

14.4K Posts

May 20th, 2008 00:00

that's pretty much the way mine are listed. I am not sure if the setpoint will even work with your mouse under vista.

I suppose you could try installing it and see what happens. I have found no version that appears to be compatable with my mouse and vista..

26 Posts

May 21st, 2008 17:00

Download and install the mouse/keyboard software fron the Dell driver page.  It's the only way to get the ability to change any of the button functions.

7 Posts

May 21st, 2008 22:00

There is nothing displayed under that category after entering my service tag. That tells me that Dell doesn't have an updted driver.

I guess I'll try installing SetPoint and hope it doesn't totally hose me. :)

7 Posts

May 21st, 2008 22:00

Installed SetPoint and was able to change the behavior of the scroll wheel to be the middle click as I wanted. I got the SetPoint software from the Logitech website. Thanks for the replies.

14.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2008 00:00

do you have a link to the setpoint software you dl....

7 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 01:00

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/428/150&cl=us,en?softwareid=670&osid=13

I'm really surprised that Dell didn't include something like this with the system. Same thing for the keyboard software. Why isn't there a utility for customizing the non-standard buttons like the Launch Browser button? It launches IE while I would like it to launch FF.

1 Message

January 13th, 2010 17:00

I just installed Windows 7 after using Vista. My Dell registered Bluetooth mouse is also not talking at all with my new OS (I don't even know how to configure the mouse to adapt to Win 7). Could you tell me what you did to get yours working properly.

thanks

June 11th, 2010 11:00

I, too am have issues with my Dell optical/USB mouse. I used to have only one mouse suite icon in my system tray (Vista Home Premium - XPS 420 750GB w/500GB external, etc...) but now I have two. When I go to the system info page, they're both listed as HID (something like that) compliant, yet have two separate locations where their files reside.

Two days ago, I noticed that instead of being able to maniupulate my screen with the click of the scroll wheel, I now get a magnifying glass and spining the wheel now increases/decreases the size of my screen. Which is something I neither want nor need.

My question is first off, where could the second mouse suite have come from and secondly, how do I know which one to get rid of? At one time, I could access the Dell Mouse properties box via the icon in the system tray but now I can't get either of the mouse icons to show itself in order to see their individual properties. Going at them via Control Panel - Mouse doesn't work either, as there is nothing regarding changing the scroll wheel features.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so a hearty THANKS! in advance.

Cheers!!

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 15:00

I had a similar problem. I moved to Windows 7 with my Dell wireless keyboard and mouse. I tried downloading the drivers (it's a killer finding a mouse driver on the Dell driver site).  Ultimately that driver wouldn't install. There was a problem unzipping the file.

I downloaded and tried the Logitech Setpoint driver that someone suggested above.  That seemed to work for a few seconds but then failed.

Ultimately I figured out that I had a small utility called KatMouse that started up a minute after each boot. I love that utility but it was hijacking the middle mouse click functionality for something else.

My suggestion for others then is to make sure some other Service or utility isn't running at system boot that can overtake the default mouse buttons.

In the end I didn't need any driver installs/refreshes etc. to get my mouse working properly again. I just needed to change my KatMouse utility settings and everythign worked fine.

...Dale

No Events found!