Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2013 15:00

XPS one 27 Microphone catches almost no sound

I have had the XPS one 27 for about 4 months and the microphone has never worked. 

I have tried using the system to record voices via multiple apps and to have Skype conversations. No luck.  The recorded files are extremely low quality (muffled, barely audible noise) and no Skype partners (I've tried with multiple people) have been able to hear me other than muffled, incoherent noise. 

It's imperative that my system have a working microphone as I use it to record qualitative research and hold business meetings.  This is the third issue I have had with this machine (the first was a malfunctioning power supply and the second is a creaky/wobbly computer stand) and is not what I expect from a $2000.00 machine. 

May 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi VictoriaDell,

You may uninstall and update the sound drivers by following the steps below :

• Press Windows + X button on keyboard
  • Click on Control Panel
  • Click on Uninstall a Program or Program and Features
  • Uninstall the audio driver and restart the system
  • After restarting, you may update the audio driver from Here
  • Follow the onscreen instructions and restart the computer when prompted

If the issue persists, you may follow the steps below to enable the microphone boost :

• Ensure that you are on Desktop screen. If you are on Start page with tiles, you may click on Desktop tile to go to Desktop mode.
  • Right click on the speaker icon to the right hand side bottom corner of the taskbar in the notification area 

• Click on 'Recording devices'
  • A Sound windows will popup on screen with a list of recording devices

• Right click on the Internal Microphone (as you have posted in the screenshot) -> choose'Properties' -> ensure that Microphone is set to 100 and check if the issue persists. 

• You may set the Microphone Boost to 10.0dB or 20.0dB and test if the recording is better. 

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2013 16:00

Hi VictoriaDell,

Is this a built-in microphone? Windows 8?

April 28th, 2013 18:00

It's an all-in-one Dell System, Windows 8 (came with) and a built in microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio, Default Device).

April 28th, 2013 18:00

In microphone properties it says the device is working properly and is enabled

May 7th, 2013 09:00

Thank you,

The microphone now works after following the first set of instructions.  

Recordings have a LOT of background noise (sounds like static or a fan whirring away constantly) and fiddling with the device properties for quality didn't help. It is still unusable for my needs.  I will have to buy an external microphone which is very disappointing as I got an all-in-one system to reduce clutter, not increase it.

Thank you for helping to fix its functionality.

Victoria

May 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi VictoriaDell,

Noise in recording indicates a high microphone gain due to microphone boost. I believe microphone volume level is already at maximum. Please try to disable all enhancements in microphone properties and set microphone boost at minimum and check if it helps.

Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to help you.

2 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Is this a built-in microphone? Windows 8?

15 Posts

May 12th, 2013 22:00

So, I have the exact same problem. Boosting the microphone "works", but it creates so much background noise that nothing works (even simple voice commands, I have to basically yell start for it to understand the basic command).

Is there any work around to fix this? I can use my bluetooth headset fine, but I would prefer to just say commands without having a headset on.

At least with this thread I know it's not just my machine.

May 13th, 2013 09:00

In your original post you suggested the following:

• You may set the Microphone Boost to 10.0dB or 20.0dB and test if the recording is better."

As such, I have already played around with the volume controls in the settings.  No amount of fiddling was able to clarify the sound. 

@AustinXPS: You are not the only one - overall I'm quite disappointed with this system for the price and I'd be interested to hear what your experience has been with it.  Personally, I had months of delay in receiving the product and in an attempt to mend the relationship dell offered me $75 dollars refund or $100 credit to their store along with news that there was a delay on 1 unspecified piece of the system so there was still no delivery date. During that phone call I mentioned that I needed the device for my work and was considering cancelling my order; the computer arrived 2 days later. Since then it has been nothing but issues: It did not work on arrival, the microphone does not work, the screen has variable lighting (bright spots near the top which are noticeable when the display is anything more than moderately dark), etc.

15 Posts

May 13th, 2013 10:00

The machine has been great. Everything seems to stem from terrible Windows 8 audio drivers. Including random lock ups of the sound settings panel. I think this mic problem is either a bad driver or bad mic design / placement.

May 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

@VictoriaDell

As you are facing multiple issues with the system, please private message the Service Tag of your system and the name on account (Click on my name and click on Start Conversation). Will take it further from there.

@AustinXPS

Please share if you have tried the steps for installing audio drivers as given in my initial post.

15 Posts

May 15th, 2013 09:00

Yes. I ran those steps. Weird the mic seems to work fine in Skype. Had to do an hour call the other day and it was fine.

Skype seems to handle mics better though.

May 17th, 2013 06:00

Hi AustinXPS,

As the mic is working fine in Skype, the issue might not be with the hardware. The challenge might be with the recording program. Please try using an alternative recording software and see if the issue persists. There are a lot of freeware audio recording programs available such as Audacity. You may download it from Here.

Note : This application is neither tested nor endorsed by Dell.

7 Posts

August 19th, 2015 13:00

I have just installed Windows 10 in my XPS ONE 2710 - and find that the built-in microphone is TOTALLY USELESS!  I have tried ALL OF THE STEPS you have recommended to all of the others with similar problems - and NOTHING helps!!!!   An "add-on" external microphone works JUST FINE!!!!!

My conclusion:  The Dell supplied mic is JUNK - as the same driver seems to work with any other microphone connected!!! 

1 Message

August 25th, 2015 14:00

I also just installed Windows 10 on my XPS ONE 2710.  My microphone is now completely useless for Skype calls.  It was ok in the past.

No Events found!