Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2008 19:00

XPS order problems and a sort-of technical query...

Hi All

this is my first post, sorry if it's slightly negative...

I recently placed an order for an XPS 720, the default system only with 4GB 800Mhz RAM as opposed to 2GB of 660Mhz RAM

Everything was rosy until I realised that when I did an Order Query on Dell's website I found that my system had been in the 'Delivery Preparation' phase for 4 days, contacted Dell Customer Services and they said that the system had already been shipped and gave apologies for the web entry not being updated, but saying that, they cant tell me :

a) When it was shipped
b) Who the carrier is...

and finally, the most important thing, they cant give me a Tracking Number....

For me that is really disturbing, it also presents a huge problem as I work 7 days a week and need to give clear notice of days off, so chances are, if Dell deliver without me knowing I wont be able to get it re-delivered until 5 days later.

It's reallymaking me miffed... but

I'm still looking forward to testing it out when it comes, on a lighter note...

Does anyone know how my system will compare withthe below spec (this was
bought 5 years ago) and I'm still using it now !!!

D ual Intel Xeon 3.06 GhZ with Hyperthreading
4GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX1000

Hope my new system smokes it, should do, shouldnt it ?, If not then I've wasted £1200...

Thanks for listening

Best

John

p.s. Forgot to mention that half an hour ago, Dell had the
temerity and cheek to send me a Customer Satisfaction Survey - who are they kidding !!!

200 Posts

February 21st, 2008 21:00

a) idk
b) DHL if you're in the USA

Your specs look more like a software enviroment than a gaming rig. The quadro is more for CAD applications than gaming. Same with the Xeon processor. Should have gone for something like a Q6600, 4GB of ram and a Nvidia 8800GTX or something.

14.4K Posts

February 21st, 2008 22:00

@ThePug628 wrote:
a) idk
b) DHL if you're in the USA

Your specs look more like a software enviroment than a gaming rig. The quadro is more for CAD applications than gaming. Same with the Xeon processor. Should have gone for something like a Q6600, 4GB of ram and a Nvidia 8800GTX or something.

Pug628

those specs are for his old system. The OP never really listed what he got in his system other than the 4 gigs of ram....

200 Posts

February 21st, 2008 22:00

My bad, I skimmed over it and read the bold. If he got something simliar to what I posted, then he's fine.

29 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 11:00

As you're in the UK the carrier is likely to be Walsh Western, who will contract out the delivery itself to Business Post. They've always called me first to arrange delivery.

When my 720 was delivered in December they gave me the option of AM/PM delivery which meant only a 1/2 day holiday.

Enjoy it when it arrives.

Teemo

XPS720 QX6850 @3.3GHz
4GB 800Mhz
1TB Raid 0
Single 8800GTX 768MB

Message Edited by Teemo70 on 02-22-2008 01:05 PM

February 22nd, 2008 15:00

Thanks everyone...

Teemo - Special thanks for that bit of useful information, bought a machine from Dell 5 years ago and they were using DHL then, they must have changed. Wonder whereabouts in the country you are ?, Im not a kick in the backside off Newcastle, Durham to be exact.

Don't worry mate, I fully intend to enjoy it :smileyhappy:, just downloaded all the 8800 nVidia Demos and 3DMark06

As I'm typing this, just got an e-mail thru to say it has been shipped - get in the net !! Do you think it might be here for Monday, or am I being overly optimistic...

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

February 22nd, 2008 16:00

i suspect that your xps 720 will be quite a bit faster than the xeon rig.. the nVidia Quadro FX1000
is an 8x agp 128mg card, and you xps 720 will probably have a video adapter with much better specs.

39 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 19:00

Mine was delivered by Fed Ex.  I too, was concerned about the delivery as I didn't wnat big ol' boxes with "DELL" logos sitting at my doorstep for the entire afternoon.  I attempted to schedule a pick up at the local office but Fed Ex declined and stated that I needed to be at home to sign for the delivery.

It cost me a well deserved play day but it all worked out.

No Events found!