Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2017 14:00

XPS with USB-C port... compatible with Thunderbolt devices (including previous generations)?

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing an XPS 8910/8920, which has has a USB-C port.  From what I've read, it appears USB-C ports are compatible with thunderbolt 3 devices (both physical and protocol).

Will the USB-C port also be compatible with thunderbolt 1 or thunderbolt 2 devices, via an adapter (ie. http://www.macworld.com/article/3136177/macs/yet-another-apple-dongle-apple-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter-now-available.html)?

I'm asking as I have a thunderbolt (first generation) device currently connected to a (now defective) Mac and I'm looking at switching this to a PC.  I'd prefer going through the integrated USB-C port if compatible, rather than adding a Thunderbolt PCIe card, which get mixed reviews.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 25th, 2017 18:00

From what I can tell the USB C is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port so it should work.  I didn't find any documentation on it but a quick google search found multiple people using it and the adapter should take care of any cross compatibility issues.

No Events found!