Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 10:00

XPS420 Ram features

I'd to increase the memory of my XPS420. On the dell website I've found that a 2gb module costs 58 euro.It isn't so cheap...

On ebay I've seen memory modules a lot cheaper. I'd like to buy it there,but I don't know which are the features the module should have to work on my Xps420.

Can someone tell me them?

Sorry for my not very goog english...

14 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

I've looked in the european version of crucial.com. 

But there is a big problem:it doesn't offer me a module of 2gb... Where can I find it(except for the Dell website)?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

Ebay is not reliable--strictly buyer beware. Buy from a trusted source. Dell computers need compatible memory. Here in the US we use Crucial.com. They have excellent resources that you can use to tell you what you need to buy. I just found out  that there are Crucial European sales web sites. Look up Crucial for your country.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 14:00

I have the same model and the most I can use is 1 GB in each slot, according to Crucial. I assume Dell is the only place you can get these special model specific 2gb chips. You should ask the sales reps at Dell. You also must have the 64 bit version of Windows to utilize 8 gb of ram, as you probably already know.

14 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 04:00

Do you mean that,if I contact Dell,they could discount me them?

14 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 06:00

I contacted Dell,but they have told me that I've already a coupon through it I don't pay freight expenses;so i can't have other sales.

But I've decided to buy them(I want to buy two 2gb modules) whatever. I've a question: they sell a module with a memory speed of 800mHz....but the other two memory modules on my pc are of 400mHz.

If you haven't understood I write you the 4 memory modules my computer will have:

1)2gb module of 800mHz

2)2gb module of 800mHz

3)1gb module of 400mHz

4)1gb module of 400mHz

My question is: Do they work together?

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 07:00

As a little note: unless you're running an x64 OS (XP, Vista, Windows 7), you won't be able to use more than about 3.25GB (possibly less).

As for mixing that memory; usually it'll mix fine; the memory will run the lowest common denominator as far as speed goes.

14 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

I know: I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

So I can buy them without any problem:emotion-2:

14 Posts

November 18th, 2009 11:00

I've bought the new ram modules and they should arrive shortly.

But I've a serious doubt: with 6gb of ram,will I need a new power supply? Actualy I have installed the 375W power supply which is installed since I've bought the computer

No Events found!