Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

April 10th, 2012 05:00

XPS8300 Multiple Restarts To Connect To Internet ???

Just received my XPS8300 a few months ago.  I connect to the internet via the network connector on the back panel.  DSL > Cisco Wireless > network connector.  My laptop is wireless, but the XPS8300 is hard wired to the back of the wireless unit. 

I never actually 'set it up', I just connected when I first got the 8300 via a cat 5 cable and never had a problem for months until now.  Recently I have to restart multiple times until it finally will connect.  Which it always does.

Is there anything I can do to correct this ???  The desktop is only a few months old.

Thank you, Bob

April 10th, 2012 05:00

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Community.

I'd suggest you to try the following steps:

1. Check with another Cat 5 cable.

2.You can try Modem power cycle by switching off all the devices. Disconnect the modem(Cisco Wireless)  from the power source and wait for 2 minutes and reconnect to the power source and turn it on. Wait till all the lights are normal in the modem then turn on the computer.

And also have you tried updating the driver for the network card?

Let me know if you need further help.

Thanks,

Bridjet

78 Posts

April 11th, 2012 06:00

Hi Bridjet,

I followed all of your suggestions, yet I still need three or more reboots before it will connect to the internet. I have new cables, power cycled and the drivers were up to date.

I notice when it doesn't connect, the 'lights' next to the cable on the back do not light up. Then after multiple restarts, the lights go on and then the 8300 connects.

Also doing some research online, I've read this is a common problem with XPS8300s and the mother board had to be replaced.

Thanks, Bob                  

April 11th, 2012 08:00

Hi Bob,

Request you to private message me your system service tag number.I will check what needs to be done and get back to you. To send Private message, accept my friend request,Click on my User name,Click start conversation.

Thanks,

Bridjet

3 Posts

July 15th, 2013 19:00

Hello,

I have similar problem.  Has been getting steadily worse.  Now chronic.  Can you please help me?

thx

No Events found!