Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2017 02:00

XPS8500 NMI Parity Check/Memory Parity Error

Hi,

I have a dell motherobard XPS8500 4 days ago my computer wont boot it says "NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error  *** SYSTEM HALTED*** " so what I did is I just replaced the memory with a brand new memory ("4GB DDR 3 1333 Kingston RAM") it work for like half a day then i got a blue screen then my computer restarted now I got the same error message from a couple days ago it says "NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error  *** SYSTEM HALTED*** " is my motherboard dead? will my old and new RAM work again?  I don't want to buy a new memory.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 08:00

This may not be a system RAM failure -- it commonly occurs with a dying video card.  

To test, remove the video card and connect your monitor to the mainboard VGA connector - if that solves the problem, replace the video card.

August 23rd, 2017 12:00

I just moved my video card to another computer("Linux") i am using it right now for about 5 hours now and its stable

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 24th, 2017 04:00

If that's the case, then the mainboard is the part to replace.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

August 24th, 2017 11:00

Put the video card back into the XPS 8500 now that you confirmed it works. It's possible just uninstalling and reinstalling the card in its slot may fix a connectivity issue that was causing the error.

Alternatively, with the video card removed, connect your monitor to one of the on-board video ports (VGA or HDMI) and see if the PC works that way. 

Are you sure the new RAM that you tried is compatible with this system?

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

EDITED

August 25th, 2017 00:00

yes the old ram is a kingston 8GB 1333 i used it for almost 4 years. then i replaced it with a kingston 4GB 1333

No Events found!