Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2014 05:00

XPS8700 - brand new speakers plugged into green jack not found

After not been able to get rather old speakers to work on my new XPS8700, I bought some brand new ones this morning but the PC just doesnt find them when i plug them into the green jack. it seems to find something when i put them in he grey jack but then i still get no sound...

How can i get the sound to work?

surely it shouldnt be this hard.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 26th, 2014 16:00

Hi Idemaerschalk,

The operating system is not going to detect a set of speakers plugged into an audio jack, since it's an analog device. Can you tell me what speakers you bought? Are you able to get sound through a different audio device, such as headphones?

July 26th, 2014 16:00

All the instructions online and on forums tell me to plug it into the green jack. The pin come with a green bit to show where it needs to go. It has worked on all previous PC I have had.

it recognises the speakers when I plug them into the grey jack and tells me it has a Realtek driver etc which is up to date but no sound comes out anywhere.

my old speakers are Kardon Harman but my new ones are Creative a60.  I plugged in some headphones in the headphone jack at the front of the pc but that didn't give me any sound either.

July 26th, 2014 21:00

I have a similar problem I have a dell insperion2305 and I want to hook up a subwoofer and speakers. it tells me to hook up s/pdif to computer and sub. What kind of plug do I need. The standard rca plug wont work nor will the green cord I have. I have a green cord hooked to the side plug and have another to hook up. Please help me I can't get any information from the website.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 27th, 2014 06:00

If you are not getting sound from either the speakers or the headphones, then the problem is your sound is not configured properly. This has nothing to do with the type of speakers you are plugging in to the computer. Speakers and headphones are basically dumb analog devices. They require no drivers.

So let's try to figure out why you have no sound. If you locate the little speaker icon in the system tray, right click that and select sounds. Find the playback tab and tell me which device is selected as the default output device.

July 27th, 2014 06:00

sorry if my first message wasn't clear. i was asking help with the configuration. I assume I need to change some settings but I have gone through all the tabs and windows i can find and  i cant work out what i need to do so all help would be gratefully received.

In the Playback list there is a list of 7 items. the first 6 are numbered 1-6 and called Digital display Audio (AMD High definition Audio device), the 7th is called Speakers.  All 7 are marked with "not plugged in".

the "Set default" button is greyed out and disabled no matter what device i select.

the speakers are currently plugged into the green jack. i can get the PC to recognize as plugged in if i change it to the grey jack although all info i find tells me to use the green jack. 

although using the grey jack it at least recognizes the speakers as plugged in, no sound comes out of them... 

July 27th, 2014 16:00

my system is a ad880 and it has a red yellow black and green plug I have all the plugs in except for the black one that it says to put into the s/pdif outlet on the computer.I don't know what kind of plug I need the one end of the black plug is just like the red and yellow on the sub but the other end does not fit into the plug on my computer.

July 27th, 2014 16:00

speakers high def audio device. My problem is that I don't know what kind of plug to plug into the spfd plug on my computer the plugs I have tried do not seem to fit

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 29th, 2014 17:00

My suggestion would be to work on this with the headphones plugged in, then work on finding the correct jack for the speakers.

Here's a link to the audio troubleshooter. Start there.

November 1st, 2015 13:00

When I look for sound devices it says no audio device installed when I go into devices it shows no audio device installed for playback , recording or sounds.  I used to have sound but now there is nothing.  also when I try to install system detect I get the following message and it won't install

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows               : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.34209

System.Deployment.dll       : 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR

clr.dll               : 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.34244 built by: FX452RTMGDR

dfshim.dll            : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES

Deployment url              : downloads.dell.com/.../DellSystemDetect.application

Server           : Microsoft-IIS/8.5

X-Powered-By      : ASP.NET

Deployment Provider url           : downloads.dell.com/.../dellsystemdetect.application

Application url             : downloads.dell.com/.../DellSystemDetect.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES

Deployment Identity         : DellSystemDetect.application, Version=6.7.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e30b47f5d4a30e9e, processorArchitecture=msil

Application Identity        : DellSystemDetect.exe, Version=6.7.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e30b47f5d4a30e9e, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

* Installable application.

* Trust url parameter is set.

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of downloads.dell.com/.../DellSystemDetect.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [10/21/2015 3:34:22 PM] : Activation of downloads.dell.com/.../DellSystemDetect.application has started.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:24 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:24 PM] : Installation of the application has started.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:24 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:29 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 2.0.50727.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:29 PM] : Detecting dependent assembly Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil using Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:29 PM] : Detecting dependent assembly System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil using System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:29 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:33 PM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:33 PM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [10/21/2015 3:34:36 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

- The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetAssemblyManifest(DefinitionIdentity asmId)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionState.Validate()

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CollectCrossGroupApplications(Uri codebaseUri, DefinitionIdentity deploymentIdentity, Boolean& identityGroupFound, Boolean& locationGroupFound, String& identityGroupProductName)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS

No transaction information is available.

Thank you for your help.  I know the last question is in the wrong forum but I just thought you may have some advise.

No Events found!