Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2016 17:00

XPs 8700 installed 2nd hard drive in optical bay - any problem with that?

It was a mistake, but I see no downside right now as I don't need the space and it looks like it would run cooler. I have only 2 screws securing it as access to the other 2 seems problematic as it would be in the proper bay below HD 1.

Initially not recognized but after seeing it as available in pre-boot, and re-booting it appeared in Disk Management, ready for the formatting process. 2T.

Thank you.

1.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 19:00

I would not ship the system with the drive there with only two screws, but it wouldn't bother me at all.

On the 8700s we use with gaming cards, the HDD cage has been removed so there is only room for one drive in the HD2 slot, and the SSD is parked in the optical bay. Again I wouldn't ship it like this but it is fine for me.

118 Posts

October 4th, 2016 16:00

Thanks, Dan. Would one use some kind of offset screw driver to put the missing ones in? The opposite case side seems to be riveted.

1.2K Posts

October 4th, 2016 18:00

I don't know of a way to get more than 2 screws into an HDD using the optical bay or the HD2 bay. 

798 Posts

October 5th, 2016 07:00

Just get a 3.5" to 5.25" Hard Drive Mounting Bracket to properly secure the HDD into the optical Bay. The bracket locks in on the riveted side wall like an optical drive would.   You might get some buzzing at the front fascia in this location, I just tap the front optical drive flap that hinges open and that sound goes aways.

Brackets looks like this:

No Events found!