Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

October 28th, 2008 03:00

Xps 730 H2C DOA.

After waiting for 3 weeks and paying 7500 for it, my computer wont stay on for longer then 10 minutes. I am typing this from the computer right now actually and every 10 minutes the computer freezes and makes weird sounds from the speakers. I cant test anything in BIOS, the memory test freezes, the hard drive test freezes. Not sure what to do anymore, called up tech support and they could not do anything even had me remove one of the memory sticks. I guess i will have to exchange it or just get a computer from another company. What do you guys think, thank you.

82 Posts

October 28th, 2008 03:00

Dell factory windows image usually is a joke.  I reformat my brand new dell computer on the first day. If you are comfortable reformatting the computer then do it, if not you have 21 days to return the computer and get a new one.  I would say dell xps 730 is the best deal out there. Lastly, you can wait for the new intel processor.

85 Posts

October 28th, 2008 08:00

I would re-seat your memory sticks,sound card, video card a couple of times then check all cable connections. Then use the factory image restore. I've had to use it a couple of times and it worked fine for me. Best of luck to you.

Model: XPS 730 Air Cooled
Operating System: 32bit Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Core 2 Duo E 8400 3.0 GHZ @ 3.6 GHZ
Graphics Card: Dual 768MB 8800GTX in SLI
Monitor: Samsung 22”
Memory: 4 Gigs Stock Dell Memory@1067
Hard Drive: 750 Gig Sata Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply: 1KW Power Supply
Other Components: Lightscribe Burner
19 in 1 Card Reader with Bluetooth
Logitech Z5500's
16,593 3D Mark 06 Score

145 Posts

October 28th, 2008 11:00

This just proves the point that it doesn't matter which make or model you get, it is always a gamble.

Since you paid for it, i suggest you give tech support a call and get them to fix it or replace it if you don't mind dealing with them.

Do you have the sound blaster card?  try removing it and see if that helps.  

53 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, so disappointed this computer runs so great before the freeze to. How do i go about with the restore, i just use the cd that came with it?

53 Posts

I do have the soundblaster card but i disabled it and still the same problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2008 12:00

zepfya,

Turn the PC off. Remove the PCI sound card from the PC. Power the PC back on, press F2 to go into the Bios- Setup. Go to Advanced- Integrated Peripherals and Enable HD Audio. Exit the Bios- Setup saving your changes. Does the PC stay on longer?

82 Posts

October 28th, 2008 13:00

@zepfya wrote:

Thanks for the help guys, so disappointed this computer runs so great before the freeze to. How do i go about with the restore, i just use the cd that came with it?

Yes, use the dell recovery cd that comes with it. but before you reinstall vista make sure you download all the current drivers  (especially the chipset drivers) and software from dell web site or nvidia it will make your reinstallation process much smother.

53 Posts

October 28th, 2008 14:00

Thanks chris, i don't see a white slot though, is the card between the two graphics cards?

306 Posts

With the side panel off, look around back where you plug your speakers in. Then look at the inside at the rear.You will see a screw that holds the sound card in. Remove that screw and carefully pull the card out.
Message Edited by atbglenn on 10-28-2008 11:44 AM

53 Posts

I disabled the sound card but it still froze, do i have to remove it instead, not really sure how to do it. Dell tech wanted me to run the hard drive test but it froze during it. I don't really see how it can be the sound card.

Message Edited by zepfya on 10-28-2008 10:23 AM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

zepfya,

* Turn the PC off
* Lay the PC on its left side
* Remove the right side cover
* Find the sound card in a white slot
* Remove the screw
* Pull the card out
* Stand the PC back up
* Turn it on and check the PC

306 Posts

Like Chris said, I would disable the X-Fi sound card, and enable the on board. I have a feeling the x-fi, which has known issues, is causing your problem. I removed mine, and it's been 7 weeks since my computer froze.

53 Posts

October 28th, 2008 17:00

Removed the sound card, will let you know if i crash or not, thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2008 18:00

zepfya,

Make sure you go into the Bios Setup Advanced- Integrated Peripherals and Enable HD Audio. The driver can be found here.

53 Posts

October 29th, 2008 03:00

Thanks for your help, though nothing worked, the computer is completely dead. After 6 hours of tech support everything we did failed to help, i came home a couple hours after and the computer won't even load up, the machine seems to be turned on but nothing appears on the monitor. I called and told them i want a refund but will settle for another machine, the guy said i will get it within 7-10 days and they gave me 500 dollars credit. I am so stressed and tired cause of today that i don't even believe that i will actually receive a new computer within 7-10 days. But we will see i guess i still have hope that at least i was being honest to. Thanks again for your help guys, especially chris appreciate your help sorry nothing worked =(.
No Events found!