Bobby_c53
1 Nickel

Xps8300

I have a Dell xps 8300 i5, I bought it several years ago.  I want to upgrade the cpu and mothetboard. I need to know what can I get that fits the case that can with it. I have upgraded the memory ,actually maxed it out and put in a very good video card. I also want to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.

0 Kudos
20 Replies

RE: Xps8300

Hi, 

Please PM us the system tag# will let you know regarding the upgrade options. 

Just a suggestion, Motherboard and processor upgrade will be as costly as a new machine, please give it a thought. 

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
Bobby_c53
1 Nickel

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> for the service tag. I have a picture to email if it helps.

0 Kudos

Processor you can go ahead with I7-2600 Quad core,, motherbaord there is one that fits in and works, i.e the one in your system

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
Bobby_c53
1 Nickel

Cool, can you tell me how much it is and what kind of motherboard? Also the fan to use and where I can get all of this ?

0 Kudos
GrampaLarry
1 Nickel

I have the XPS 8300 with the i7 2600 from dell. I added a few bells & whistles to my system,but base is strictly dell oem (mobo,processor,hdd,dvd) U may wanna ck my stats before going too far into new parts.  Operating System
            Windows 10 Home 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz    36 °C
            Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
            16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            Dell Inc. 0Y2MRG (CPU 1)    28 °C
        Graphics
            S211HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)    33 °C
        Storage
            1397GB Seagate ST31500341AS (SATA)    35 °C
        Optical Drives
            PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio           I DID have to put a larger power supply in when I upgraded the video card.The psu is a standard issue one so it's not a deal breaker. Smiley Happy   P.S. I Play all 3 Witcher's and batman Arkham City,and Arkham Knight with no problems on ultra on Witcher3.

0 Kudos

Hi
part# for the proc is 706FY , motherboard part#X2RH5 , fan part# WDRTF ,
for a vague idea on prices you can check on amazon.
Post checking on amazon you will get an idea of how much it will cost, and if youwish to go ahead for a repair with engineer, do let us know

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Iridium

I have a Dell xps 8300 i5, I bought it several years ago.  I want to upgrade the cpu and mothetboard.

It's mATX, but the front panel wiring must be reworked to accommodate an aftermarket board.

I installed an aftermarket board in an XPS 7100 (same chassis) and an XPS 8500 board in an aftermarket chassis.

Then again, how much do you really need? The i5 is still a beast, and unless you need massive amounts of memory, the OEM board should still be sufficient. I suggest using the upgrade money for an SSD, perhaps one that plugs into a PCIe slot and avoids the bottleneck of the SATA 3 bus.

0 Kudos
Bobby_c53
1 Nickel

So you think even this old i5 from 2013 will work great? I like your idea of an ssd, it should speed things up. What size ssd do you think might work, I'm not a gamer anymore. Although I might get back to WOW. I do have max memory, 32 gb.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Germanium

I suggest using the upgrade money for an SSD, perhaps one that plugs into a PCIe slot and avoids the bottleneck of the SATA 3 bus.

+1 on an SSD.

Is there a SSD / PCIe slot versionthat will work on the 8300 as a boot drive?

If not, SATA 3 isn't horrible, and is way, way, way faster than an HDD, especially if the HDD is the original in the 8300. The price on 500 GB SSDs like the samsung evo 850 have dropped to the $150 range and it is without a doubt in my mind the best upgrade for a desktop. It won't help gaming speeds but it will make the system feel much, much faster.

0 Kudos