Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

January 23rd, 2008 02:00

Yet another E510 with blinking amber light

This appears to be a common problem. In my case, my E510 began to refuse to boot after about 14 months of minimal use (typically only a few hours per week), protected the entire time by a UPS with power conditioning. Unlike most of the other posts on this issue that I've read, my E510 with blinking amber light can periodically be coaxed to boot. (Note: There are NO diagnostic lights visible. And once it IS running, the button is steady green -- as though everything is just fine.) Whether it boots or I get the blinking amber light is starting to feel like a voodoo thing. I plug and unplug, plug and unplug, drain the remaining current by holding in the power button, walk away for 15-30 minutes, spin around, hug the dog, and OCCASIONALLY I'll get the steady green power light. Most recently, after running through one of the Dell troubleshooting Web pages, I discovered that if I disconnect every external cable, drain the remaining current, and then wait 5-10 minutes, it will usually allow me to boot. While booting, I can reconnect the cables and everything works fine. (Well, not everything. The DVD drive seems to have a miserable time spinning up to speed. Eventually, it works, though.) Other things I've tried: (1) Replaced the internal battery. (That worked for one boot.) (2) Plugged the system into different outlets. (Initially, it was plugged into a power strip that was connected to the UPS. After reading that somehow that might affect the power getting to the system, I plugged it directly into the UPS. That worked for one or two boots, too. All that remains plugged into the power strip is the monitor and speakers. (Side note: Since when did using a power strip or UPS become a no-no?) Since the system CAN be tricked into booting, is there any reason to think that my power supply has problems? I really hate the idea of tossing money at this without knowing for sure that the problem will be corrected. Frankly, for a $1,000 computer (I added a bunch of upgrades when it was ordered), I'm really dismayed that it's having hardware problems this early on. Either my luck is bad or this is a badly cobbled together system. Given the number of people that have the same problem, is their any chance that Dell will step up and take responsibility for the repairs? Steve

Message Edited by zapt on 01-23-2008 09:08 AM

13 Posts

April 23rd, 2009 10:00

Looks like my problem was not a result of a faulty MOBO but it was with the Power Supply...

Initially I called Dell to replace the MOBO but once replaced the problem was more apparent and the machine would not startup anymore without removing the CMOS battery...Even once started up, I would still get the occasional flashing amber light unless I've unplugged all the USB cables and ethernet cable. However once the power supply was replaced with a new one everything has now worked fine.

I have read that the problem can also be a problem with the front I/O panel because of the pins in the USB ports might be damaged.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 11:00

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/index.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/parts1.htm#wp1371329

Unresolved Issues
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/outstanding_issues?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355 ext. 69938

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/DellPartsFamily.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

I find 2 part numbers for the Front panel although I cannot say if they work or not.

Front panel would need replacement if the USB ports are shorted out.

The Part refers to the MR SMITH Case

Dell X8543/Y6791 Front I/O & Control Panel Assembly, Dimension, MT, 2.0 ASSY,PNL,FRT,I/O,
Dell X8543 ASSY PNL FRT I/O DIM MSMT 2.0 (ROHS) 
Description:ASSY /PNL /FRT /I/O /MSMT
Comments:Front I/O Panel Assembly / MATRIX /SMITH /MINI TOWER

The MR Smith Tower looks like this

24 hour phone support at 800-822-8965

PANEL

POWER Supply

BATTERY

1 Message

May 14th, 2009 14:00

My wife's computer has recently started having this problem as well.  I searched the support forums looking for a fix and found this thread.

So let me see if I have things correct.  Dell has manufactured a computer with faulty parts.  Evidenced by the fact that so many people are having the exact same problem.  So when their customers start having this problem rather then doing the honorable thing and repairing their faulty hardware, they are requiring the customer to purchase the parts and pay for the labor?  Seriously?  Even Microsoft paid for the red ring of death incident.

I recently bought a Dell for myself that I am using for gaming and so far I have enjoyed it, but I am starting to regret my choice of going with Dell.  I have three other friends that are looking to buy new gaming pcs and I had been encouraging them to look at Dell, however if this is how Dell treats there customers who have a problem that is so clearly a hardware defect, I can not in good concious refer my friends to Dell just to have them run into poor customer service as I am starting to see here.

13 Posts

May 14th, 2009 15:00

My wife's computer has recently started having this problem as well.  I searched the support forums looking for a fix and found this thread.

So let me see if I have things correct.  Dell has manufactured a computer with faulty parts.  Evidenced by the fact that so many people are having the exact same problem.  So when their customers start having this problem rather then doing the honorable thing and repairing their faulty hardware, they are requiring the customer to purchase the parts and pay for the labor?  Seriously?  Even Microsoft paid for the red ring of death incident.

I recently bought a Dell for myself that I am using for gaming and so far I have enjoyed it, but I am starting to regret my choice of going with Dell.  I have three other friends that are looking to buy new gaming pcs and I had been encouraging them to look at Dell, however if this is how Dell treats there customers who have a problem that is so clearly a hardware defect, I can not in good concious refer my friends to Dell just to have them run into poor customer service as I am starting to see here.

To be fair I found Dell after sale service to be one of the best out of other manufacturers.... Considering you are open to options of either email, online chat or telephone service when your Dell computer breaks down.

For me I opted myself to replace the faulty PSU myself, since I was not willing to take another day off work to supervise a Dell engineer to replace a faulty PSU which I could easily do it myself.

But I agree that Dell computers aren't the best quality comparing other manufacturer but like I said before Dell have one of the best customer service I have experienced.

1 Message

May 31st, 2009 23:00

I have the same problem and been looking for answers with no avail. After reading some of the posts here and looking and the troubleshooting guide, I desired to do a good visual inspection. One thing I noticed when looking at the blinking amber light was, that it look very dim.  I took another power supply, plugged it in and everything was good.

Just a pointer. If that blinking light is dim, chances are that your problem is the power supply.

Just sharing my experience and results.

Good luch all!.

I do think Dell should me liable for something that was clearly built with a problem.  Everyone is having the same exact problem, so, I don't think we are to blame for the defective machines. We should be compensated for repair expenses. We paid very good money for them.

Maybe Obama will step in and straighten out some more of the big manufacturers that won't take resposability for their mistakes, continue to take advantage of the customers, taime after time. Things like this is why this country is what it is now. The big destroys the small,. No fairness at all.

6 Posts

July 8th, 2009 08:00

Try this.  On the main Power Connector going to the motherboard from the Power Supply,  use a straightened paper clip and short the Green Wire to one of the Black Ground Wires and then press your power switch.  As the machine powers up, remove the paper clip. 

If this works, you could connect a momentary contact SPST Switch to these two points and mount it in the front of the pc.

To start the PC simply Hold the SPST switch in and press your regular power button and then let go of both switches.

6 Posts

Looks like my problem was not a result of a faulty MOBO but it was with the Power Supply...

Initially I called Dell to replace the MOBO but once replaced the problem was more apparent and the machine would not startup anymore without removing the CMOS battery...Even once started up, I would still get the occasional flashing amber light unless I've unplugged all the USB cables and ethernet cable. However once the power supply was replaced with a new one everything has now worked fine.

I have read that the problem can also be a problem with the front I/O panel because of the pins in the USB ports might be damaged.

Try This,  On the main power plug from the Power Supply to the Motherboard, Use a straightened paper clip and short the Green Wire to a Black Ground Wire on either side of it and after doing so, press the regular power button on the front of the machine.  As the PC starts up, remove the paper clip.  If this works for you, make it permanant by installing a push button, momentary contact, normally open SPST switch connect to the two points.  Mount the switch in one of the empty drive bay knock out panels.  To start the machine all you do is hold the pushbutton switch and press the regular power button.  As the machine powers up, release both buttons.

This apears to be a design problem but this makes a good work-around.

Edited 07/08/2009 by LC

6 Posts

This appears to be a common problem. In my case, my E510 began to refuse to boot after about 14 months of minimal use (typically only a few hours per week), protected the entire time by a UPS with power conditioning. Unlike most of the other posts on this issue that I've read, my E510 with blinking amber light can periodically be coaxed to boot. (Note: There are NO diagnostic lights visible. And once it IS running, the button is steady green -- as though everything is just fine.) Whether it boots or I get the blinking amber light is starting to feel like a voodoo thing. I plug and unplug, plug and unplug, drain the remaining current by holding in the power button, walk away for 15-30 minutes, spin around, hug the dog, and OCCASIONALLY I'll get the steady green power light. Most recently, after running through one of the Dell troubleshooting Web pages, I discovered that if I disconnect every external cable, drain the remaining current, and then wait 5-10 minutes, it will usually allow me to boot. While booting, I can reconnect the cables and everything works fine. (Well, not everything. The DVD drive seems to have a miserable time spinning up to speed. Eventually, it works, though.) Other things I've tried: (1) Replaced the internal battery. (That worked for one boot.) (2) Plugged the system into different outlets. (Initially, it was plugged into a power strip that was connected to the UPS. After reading that somehow that might affect the power getting to the system, I plugged it directly into the UPS. That worked for one or two boots, too. All that remains plugged into the power strip is the monitor and speakers. (Side note: Since when did using a power strip or UPS become a no-no?) Since the system CAN be tricked into booting, is there any reason to think that my power supply has problems? I really hate the idea of tossing money at this without knowing for sure that the problem will be corrected. Frankly, for a $1,000 computer (I added a bunch of upgrades when it was ordered), I'm really dismayed that it's having hardware problems this early on. Either my luck is bad or this is a badly cobbled together system. Given the number of people that have the same problem, is their any chance that Dell will step up and take responsibility for the repairs? Steve

Try this.  On the Main Power Connection to the motherboard, use a straightened Paper Clip and temporarily short the Green wire to a Black Ground wire on either side of it and press the regular power button.  As the machine starts to power up, remove the paper clip.  If this works, you can make it a permanant fix by using a momentary contact SPST pushbutton switch and mount the switch in a Knock Out panel of one of the empty drive bays.  Press and Hold the new switch then press the regular power button and then release both as the machine powers on.

I believe this to be a design problem.  Since Dell is not doing an ESN to the Motherboard or Switch Board, This seems to be a good work-around.

Message Edited by LC 07/08/2009 

6 Posts

Try this.  On the main power connection from the Power Supply to the Motherboard, use a straightened Paper Clip and short the Green Wire to one of the Black Ground Wires beside it and then press the main power switch.  As the PC starts to power on, remove the paper clip.

If this works, install a Push-Button, Normally Open SPSP momentary contact switch connected to the Green wire and the Black wire at the motherboard.  Mount the switch in a Knock Out Panel in one of the spare drive bays.  To start the macine, Hold the new switch and press the regular power switch.  As the machine powers up release both switches. 

6 Posts

Try this.  On your main power cable that connects from the Power Supply to the Motherboard, us a straightend paper clip and short the Green wire Temporarily to a Black Ground wire on either side of the Green Wire and then press the front power button on the machine.  As the PC starts to boot, remove the paper clip.

If this works, you can make this a permanant fix by installing a momentary contact SPST pushbutton switch in one of the knockout panels of one of the empty drive bays.  Then just Hold in the new Button and press the regular power button and let go of both.  The machine should power up.

6 Posts

I believe this to be a design problem.  I had a machine that was doing the same thing.  Flashing amber would not power up.  Put in a Bigger Dell Power Supply, Still the same, Installed a New ATX 350 watt 3rd party supply, still the same, Installed a 450Watt ATX, still the same problem. 

On the 350Watt PSP, I found that if i kept holding and pressing the power button, it would finally come up.

The below fix worked with all of the power supplys, including the original power supply that was supposedly "bad".

Try this fix.  The main power plug going to the motherboard has one Green Wire.  Use a short wire or straightened paper clip and short the green wire to a black ground wire on either side of it.  The power supply will power on and then press your regular power button on the front of the machine and now disconnect the short wire.   I think you will find that the PC will come up.  If this works, mount a small Push-button switch in one of the front drive bay Knockouts.  The switch should be a Momentary Contact, SPST switch.  You can buy a box of 4 of these switches from Radio Shack for about $3.00.

To start the machine, Hold the new switch on and then press the regular power button and let go of both. 

This is just a work-around but since no one seems to be making any modifications to the circuitry that starts the PC, this should make it work.

I wonder how many motherboards and power supplys have been changed needlessly?

August 22nd, 2009 17:00

Thought I would pass along many hours of trying to troubleshoot my DELL E-510.  There are many posts that talk about removing the BIOS battery, replacing the powersupply , replacing the front panel assembly and then the most expensive , finding a replacement Motherboard.  Here is a summary of my troubleshooting, hope this might help others that are clearly having problem with the E-510

Editorial note :  I have been a loyal customer for many years and approved thousands of corporate computers purchases from Dell, and I never expected to have such problems with my DELL E-510 (used at home ) Im sure Dell monitors this  forum and I'm really surprised that they have not done much.  You guys are really getting negitive press on this one !

THERE ARE A FEW DIFFERENT FAILURE MODES THAT WILL CAUSE THE DREADED DELL E-510 YELl OW BLINKING LIGHT OF DEATH.  WILL TRY TO SUMMARIZE THOSE AS FOLLOWS.

1) POWER SUPPLY IS BAD.  Posts have already discussed some of the internal capacitors that go bad in the DELL power supply and how to repair. Those are only some that might fail, however the ones discussed tend to have a higher failure rate.  You can bench check your Power Supply by removing it and testing it on the bench using a simple volt meter.. The ATX power supply needs the PS_ON (pin 16 Green Wire) jumped to Ground ( Pin 17 is a good Choice).  You then can apply AC and check the voltages.  Another good test point is Pin 8 which is PWR_OK.  Internal circuits are responsible for checking all of the voltages and proper operation BEFORE PWR_ON is turned on (Logic 1 , HIGH,5V). If everything is ok this pin should go from almost 0V to 4-5V indicating the Power Supply is probably OK

2) Power ON , POST, Disk Active ETC circuit board on the front of the E-510. There are NO active parts that control power on expect for the push button on this circuit board !. The normally open switch provides a grounds connection to the MotherBorad when depressed.  Thats ALL , no active components.  So I would only replace that circuit board if you have absolutely no control using that switch ... Cant turn it on , cant turn it off , cant discharge the green MotherBoard led.. Its just a mechanical switch.

3) BIOS backup battery Bad.  In my experience , if this battery goes bad, you will get a notification and/or when you boot the computer time/date is incorrect. You could always replace it easily , maybe a completely dead/shorted battery could cause problems, however most likely a loss of settings or time/date.will be the problem ! Posts do indicate that a bad battery did cause  problems, its cheap and easy to replace.  When its replaced , most times the BIOS settings are cleared and the processor uses a special boot sequence to force reading of computer components, that's why many report that it turns on once after the battery is removed and replaced. It normally does not fix the problem !

4) Defective MottherBoard. The processor uses support chips (Intel 945G Express support chips) and one is responsible for I/O and to the point  Power  management ! The on-off switch, power status, BIOS setup , and other factors are handled by this large and complex IC. .If your power supply tests good and you have checked the front panel switch , then you most likely have a bad component on the motherboard !  Used motherboards can be purchased different places, a web search shows companys selling used ( checked and guaranteed ) for about $100. I looked everywhere for motherboard technical  data and Intel does not release infromation about support circuits for their 82810GR I/O chip. 

My specific problem is when power is turned on I immediately get the E-510 blinking light of death.  If I wait long enough ( sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 10 hours) eventually the light will stop blinking and I can turn the beast on .  I checked the powersupply and also replaced it  thinking maybe it was faiiling under load ! NOT THE POWER SUPPLY !.  Removed the from panel circuit board ( I didnt know what components were on the front panel) as noted nothing but the switch.... Since I know the switch eventually works and can turn off the E-510 its not the switch, you can also test the switch with a ohm meter ! So I'm one of the luckey ones, a BAD MOTHERBOARD !!! 

IF YOU HAVE A BAD MOTHERBOARD , i suggest that you try the push button switch tied between the 24 pin ATX power connector pins 16 (PS_ON)  and 17 )  use a good momentary Normally open push button switch and put a 1K OHM resistor in series .  The PS-ON is a logic signal other components are connected to this signal ... just wish we could find out more about that motherboard. Dont think its really the Intel I/O chip, most likely some "glue" components that connect to that chip.   Might just be a bad resistor or capacitor on the motherboard . 

If you have a problem same as mine, pushing the switch the same time you push the E-510 power on switch works for me. It simulates the Power ON signal created by the defective circuit on the MotherBoard and works almost all of the time.  Once it didnt work, so I removed the power to the E-510 , pushed the poweron switch untill the blinking yellow light stops ( even if you remove power from the E-510 you must discharge the remaining power).  Plug it in again, and press both buttons again and it should work . I can live with this solution for awhile, there is considerable cost to replace the motherboard especially iif you must pay a tech. to do it... Might not be worth the investment.  The E-510 doesnt seem to have a very good reliability record !!!!

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD PERFORMANCE FROM MY DELL PRODUCTS, HOWEVER I AGREE WITH MOST, TWO YEARS FROM A $1200 DELL COMPUTER IS REALLY A BAD DEAL !!!  GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

214 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 19:00

It must be thousands of these 510's that have this problem. Dell could replace these boards and I will bet the company stock would go up. I will never recommend a Dell to anyone again. I work on computers everyday and I have seen about 5 of these 510's and all have the same exact problem. If Dell would only admit that these were bad computers. I see them selling everyday on ebay and I would never bid on this model in a million years. I bought one myself in late 05 that is sitting in my basement collection dust. Maybe Dell will read all these posts and wise up. Until they do no more Dells ever for me. trig

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 22:00

i have an E520 FLASHING AMBER LIGHT WONT BOOT OR POST

like the power swith panel is bad i replaced power supply still same prob control panel next ?

its my aunts computer im a computer tech\gamer\mechanic

im prtty sure its the front control panel so i need parts help

im out of warranty  tech support  hot line i  was told they couldent help me or her .

that this isnt a prob and they didnt know any thing about this concern

and that a mother board alone was 375.00

thats crazy  so i have it sitting here waste of parts has 2 gig mem not sure what the cpu is on acount it wont boot lol thx dell

she looking to just buy a new computer and it prob wont be a dell

so should wee give up or is dell helping fix this prob this computer is like brand new but not under warranty time

1 Message

August 25th, 2009 09:00

My dimension 510e started having the "blinking amber light of death" about two months ago.  I read the forums here and elsewhere and popped out the CMOS battery.  The pc started up and I just left it in standby mode instead of turning it off every night.  I went out and bought a Verbatim hard drive and started backing up all my data every day, waiting for the end.  Btw, that stupid Verbatim came with Nero Back  It Up Essentials 2, which turned out to be really old and unreliable software - beware!

We lost power a few times recently and the pc powered back up without too many problems.  Then we had a thunderstorm that knocked out our power for a few hours on Sun and when I came down Mon morning, the pc was dead.  I tried the usual tricks - unplug all the peripherals, drain the power, get a cup of tea, come back and see if it starts and still nothing but that annoying blinking light.  I fussed with it for a few hours and still nothing.  I installed a new CMOS battery, hoping that would help, but it didn't.  I finally decided that it was really dead and I was going to take it to a pc place (I'm not very technical) to see if I needed a new power supply or motherboard or maybe they can take the hard drive and put it in a new pc. 

I checked the forum one last time and saw that digital11 had posted his paperclip fix about a dozen times.  I figure I have nothing to lose, plus the post that follows it is too technical for me to understand, so I tried it.  It worked!  I have no idea if it'll work again because I've only tried it once (the pc is up and I don't plan on shutting it down...).  The good part is that I can get a proper backup or boot disk using something besides Nero while the pc is up.  I don't know what an "SPSP momentary contact switch" is but you can bet I'm going to find out and put one in!  Thanks for the fix, digital11,!  Even if it does turn out to be temporary, it's a big help.

~Louise

No Events found!