Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BL

May 25th, 2007 03:00

Zogis 6800 XT doesn't work; does it need a power connection?

I followed the directions that came with the Zogis 6800 XT graphics card, and inserted it in the VGA adapter slot. The monitor remained blank after I turned the computer on, and the computer would not even shut down when I pressed the power switch; I had to pull the cord out. (I wonder if the booting process stopped because of trouble with the graphics card.) Anyway, I noticed a four-pronged connection point for power for the Zogis card, which is not mentioned in the instructions! Is this the problem? If so, I will need an extension cord (which did not come with the card) because the ones in the computer won't reach the card.

510 Posts

May 25th, 2007 13:00

From the pictures I looked at online, it does not appear your card requires an extra power connector.  However, if you take a picture of it I will be able to say for certain.

Generally, even if a card requires extra juice, it will still boot in a low power state.  Did you disable your integrated graphics before upgrading?

May 25th, 2007 15:00

What are integrated graphics?

510 Posts

May 25th, 2007 16:00

When you installed the 6800, did you first remove a card from the agp slot?  If not, your computer was previously utilizing an integrated graphics controller (ie. one built in to the motherboard) which needs to be disabled in device manager before you install the upgrade.

May 25th, 2007 17:00

I didn't uninstall any drivers, but the problem appears to be that the card needs a Molex cable. I am already very dissatisfied with Zogis because the instructions did not mention this, and the card did not even come with the necessary part.

Yes, I removed the original GeForce card.

510 Posts

Ah, then integrated graphics were already disabled.  Did you uninstall all nvidia drivers before swapping the cards?

May 25th, 2007 18:00

Yes; the four-pin connector in your first picture is exactly what I have on my card. My computer has two spare connection points on its power cables, but none can reach the Zogis card. I would have to detach one from the disk drives (obviously not acceptable) to get it close enough. The idea of a simple extension cord (maybe 6-8 inches) with a Molex connection at each end seems obvious, but I couldn't get one at Best Buy or Radio Shack. Circuit City says it doesn't have them either.

510 Posts

May 25th, 2007 18:00

Is this an accurate picture of the card you have:
If so, you definitely need a 4 pin Molex power connector.  I'm surprised, since the other pictures I've seen of Zogis 6800XTs like this:
do not require an extra connection.  It appears the company changed their design at some point, which is why few of the reviews I found mentioned it.  Fortunately, most Dell's with AGP slots have a plethora of extra drive cables which can be used (provided they fit).  Are you experiencing a shortage? 

510 Posts

May 26th, 2007 02:00

I don't know what the inside of your rig looks like cable wise, but sometimes the simple act of changing which bay a drive is in can get you the extra length needed. If not, the products above are fine.

In my opinion, it is unacceptable that I can't find anything on the manufacturer's product page specifying the need for a spare molex cable. This information should be as visible as AGP v. PCI. It wouldn't even be such a big deal if Zogis showed a picture of the card out of it's box in a viewable location. The picture I eventually found above was from NewEgg (the only hardware vendor I use when possible).

Message Edited by Rorsach on 05-25-2007 11:29 PM

2 Intern

• 

2K Posts

May 26th, 2007 02:00

Bill Levinson wrote:
Yes; the four-pin connector in your first picture is exactly what I have on my card. My computer has two spare connection points on its power cables, but none can reach the Zogis card. I would have to detach one from the disk drives (obviously not acceptable) to get it close enough. The idea of a simple extension cord (maybe 6-8 inches) with a Molex connection at each end seems obvious, but I couldn't get one at Best Buy or Radio Shack. Circuit City says it doesn't have them either.

Who cares about the LED but for $2.99:

The following cable might work better if you need more length:

Good Luck
Dale

Message Edited by Dale Nihiser on 05-25-2007 10:19 PM
No Events found!