Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2011 07:00

audio drivers neede after reinstalling windows XP

Hi everybody. I need some help, as I have reinstalled Windows XP on my Dimension 3100 -- all went well, apart from the fact I do need the audio drivers. The point is I do not know which audio card is installed in it. Can I get the  specific driver? Do I need to report the Serrvice Tag or the Computer Identity? Thanks a lot in advance!

904 Posts

February 15th, 2011 16:00

Hi Lorna

Welcome to the Dell Community !!

The system you own has 2 kinds of audio cards. We need to determine which one you have installed on your system.

PM me your service tag, ill gladly look it up for you.

Note: Do not post service tag information on a public post.

904 Posts

February 16th, 2011 03:00

Thank you for the message, here is the Audio driver for your system.

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Make sure you go through this properly.

How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

It is important, very important to restart the system after certain driver installation.

Let me make it easier for you. Follow these steps. Click on the name to download and install that driver.

1) Desktop System Software (DSS) - Restart the system.

2) Chipset - Restart the system.

3) Audio Adapter - Restart not required.

4) Video Adapter -  Restart the system

5) Network Interface Card - Restart not required.

Make sure you have saved these drivers for future re-installation.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2011 08:00

Hi Tolson Alva,

I have reloaded Windows XP Home onto Dell Dimension 3100. There is no sound (as for Lorna). I need the driver for the integrated on-board sound, which I believe is APOSRC4.

When I try to download this, Dell Driver Download Manager dialog box states "Session data is corrupt. Please go to Drivers and Downloads to select the file(s) again - APOSRC4.zip". I have retried the download several times on different days - always with this result. (I am able to download the other Dimension 3100 driver for a sound card - which is not the one I need!)

Is the driver itself corrupt as it lies on the Dell server? If it is, is there a workaround. I realise that this is an old piece of hardware, but would be grateful for any help you can offer.

Kind regards,

John Harvey

904 Posts

February 18th, 2011 05:00

Hi John

Yes that file was corrupt and the techs are onto getting it fixed.

It could take a while, in the meantime download this alternate driver and let me know if it works. Creative Labs Integrated Audigy invitation

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 18th, 2011 06:00

The SigmaTel sound is what you want.  HERE is the Dell SigmaTel Driver for the 3100 and Windows XP.

DO NOT use the Dell Download manager.  It has caused many users problems.  Uninstall the Download manager and any cookies for it, then restart the PC and download  the driver direct.  Click on the Blue Download button.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2011 08:00

Hi Telson,

Thank you for your help. Yes, your suggested alternative worked OK.

Kind regards,

John

No Events found!