Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2011 04:00

audio plug , broken in computer

I have an audio plug broken off in the onboard audio connection.

Quad CPU, 8 GB RAM and no sound! Frustrating.

I turn off onboard audio. I install a new sound card to no avail.

I suspect this plug is half way out. How to remove?

I know if onboard is disabled, it should not matter ; at this point, I am going to remove it!

It is surrounded in plastic,  I have thought about a hot knife.

Hoping someone out there has a slick way of removing the broken plug.

All suggestions are welcome and I Thank You in advance--   Stephen

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2011 05:00

Hi Stephen,

Wow, that's frustrating. :emotion-6:

As you've already figured out, this is going to be a challenge. For on-board audio, those connectors are soldered to the motherboard, but they are generic connectors. If I were in your shoes, I think I would bring your system to a local computer shop for ideas.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 11th, 2011 07:00

If you can see the broken end I've read reports of super gluing something to it and then pulling it out, if you are dexterious to be able to do that.  Most of the jacks are closed in the rear so pushing it out from the rear, in most cases, is not an option.  A magnet is another possibility.  In most cases (all that I've seen) replacing the jack is not an option due to the mulit-layer SMT PC boards (motherboard) that require special desoldering/soldering tools.  

If the Integrated audio has a problem - whatever problem, disable it in the BIOS and then you can use a separate sound card. Disabling it in the BIOS renders it "harmless".   In most Dell's (You didn't note what PC model you have) when you add an aftermarket sound card the front panel headphone and mic jacks will be disabled due to Dell custom wiring.

26 Posts

May 11th, 2011 08:00

Thank You for the reply, it is on target.

I will look at the super glue angle before I get  "crazy" with hot knife.

No Events found!