Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2006 23:00

boot from D:\ ??????

I have LINUX: SUSE 10.1 that runs off of a dvd, but i don't know how to make my computer boot from the disc drive. i can't do the trick where you press f2 (dell dimension 2350) at startup because my monitor takes too long to get a picture on the screen, and geuessing when to press it hasnt been working, or tapping it alot. so here i am with the boot.ini file open, how can i use this to make it boot from my disc. here is the contents of boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

9.4K Posts

November 8th, 2006 10:00

I'm not sure by what you have described, but have you tried going into the BIOS Setup and setting the CD drive as the first boot device?  That can be done under the Boot menu of the BIOS Setup.   If by chance you are unable to view the BIOS Setup screens because you have added a PCI graphics card to your system then temporarily switch back to the integrated video in order to access the BIOS and make the necessary change in the Boot menu.

As for editing the Boot.ini file,  as far as I know this won't work with a CD drive.  The parameters of the Boot.ini file look for bootable operating systems on specific partitions which a compact disc doesn't have.

36 Posts

November 9th, 2006 18:00

Its not in the bios

on my dimension at bootup its f2 for bios OR F12 to get into a boot menu. In the f12 menu i can select:

SATA or IDE HDD
USB or IDE CDROM
Internal or USB Floppy

I just do f12 and select USB or IDE CDROM and it worked fine to install ubuntu
No Events found!