Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2009 11:00

cable connection

Got an Ebay GX280 and it runs fine but installed an ATI X300 64mb card and things turned sour.  The card has but two outputs - DVI-I dual link and S video.  My problem seems to be that my monitor input(s) are DVI-D dual link or VGA, neither of which match the card.  There is apparently no cable which has DVI-I male on one end and DVI-D male on the other so I ordered a splitter which will, hopefully solve the problem.  At the moment, I'm connected from card to monitor with a DVI-D, both ends, and have several varieties of screen distortion.  Another possible side effect is my monitor's going into 'power save' after a couple of minutes (settings are for 2 hours).  Only comes back with a reboot and, then, for only a few minutes. 

14.4K Posts

January 15th, 2009 14:00

A DVI-D cable on both end will work just fine. You monitor cannot handle the DVI-I connections so the issue is more to do with the card. It really sounds like the card may be bad.

You can try reinstalling the drivers for the card using the latest drivers from the ATI web site. '

Also make doublely sure that the card is fully seated into the card slot.

The main difference between a DVI-I and D is the I will also output the RGB signal which can be used by some monitors. IF you monitor does not have that function than it is not necessary to have a DVI-I cable. You can see some info HERE

17 Posts

January 16th, 2009 09:00

The drivers were downloaded from the ATI site and Wizard Install seemed happy with it.  My Bios is in the correct position - add in card is primary.  Haven't received my splitter yet so can't absolutely rule that out but what you say about DVI cables makes sense.  Prior to the video card, running with just Integrated Graphics Accelerator was just fine.  That was VGA to VGA.  In addition to the monitor distortion which increases to the point it goes into power saver mode, my desktop display increased in size and I now have to scroll up to see the task bar.  Perhaps the bottom line, the card isn't new.  Got it from an outfit selling used Dell parts, claimed normal function but probably 'as is, where is'.  Another Caveat Emptor? 

17 Posts

January 16th, 2009 11:00

Forgot this morsel.  Just prior to doing it, the monitor displays this little gem '1  Auto detect (Digital Input)

entering power save'.  No moving the mouse or fingering the keys will bring it back, only power off - reboot and wait for it to do it again. 

872 Posts

January 16th, 2009 11:00

i wonder if you happen to have both a dvi and a vga cable still connected to your monitor.  you can't have both or your monitor can become confused and perhaps what you perceive as it going to sleep is it actually trying to switch to the other video source... 

also, there should be a 'auto' adjust button on your monitor (most have it, but if you mention the model number of the monitor we could be more specific about how to do this).  this should get what everimage that the computer is currrently set to produce to fit your monitors display better.  and on the computer, when in windows, you can go into 'display properties' to specify the resultion that you would like to use.  this is usually monitor specific as monitors have optimal dispay resolutions (to match their capabilites and size).

good luck.

14.4K Posts

January 17th, 2009 13:00

Assuming you are running XP you can go HERE and get the latest driver and Catalyst for the card.

My feeling after reading you last post is the card is going. As it runs it heats up and the video degrades to none at all. That is why you are seeing the msg on the monitor. There is no output from the card.

17 Posts

January 17th, 2009 13:00

The monitor is a Dell SE198WFP and, with DVI the only cable in place between it and the video card the display is tolerable after boot but gradually deteriorates 'til I end up with a black screen with this superimposed 'Auto Detect (Digital Input) Cannot Display this Video mode Optimum resolution 1440X900 60Hz'  The troubleshooting guide for this monitor says this means the monitor's out of synch - I'm familiar with that feeling.  'Auto adjust' feature is not available on the digital input OSD menu and OSD input is on 'digital'.  In Windows properties the resolution is set to the optimum 1440X900.  I pulled the card and reinstalled it making sure it was firmly in the slot and Window says it's there and 'operating normally'.  It's becoming a 'can't see the forest for the trees' situation - hope you can pick out the problem.

17 Posts

January 17th, 2009 15:00

Much as I hate to admit it, I think you're correct.  Another case of getting what you pay for.  Think I'll invest in something with a warranty and will post the result. 

No Events found!