Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2010 13:00

can't turn on 8400

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I have a Dimension 8400 that had been setting idle since I got a Dell XPS 630i.  I had trouble with the XPS and tried to use the 8400 only to find that it would not turn on.  Nothing happens, no light, no beep.  There is a green light on the mother board that is on when the computer is plugged in.  That light stays on for a while when the plug is pulled.  If I press the on off button that light goes off almost immediately.  I pulled the front panel off and reseated the ribbon connectors from the switch the small broad below it and to the mother board.  The computer still will not power on.

Can anyone help?

John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 15th, 2010 13:00

John Watts

The power button LED is not lite?

Does the power supply fan run?

Have you tried opening the case, then remove and reseat all the power and data connectors, memory modules and cards?

Are any of the four Diagnostic lights lite on the back panel?

See HERE.

Bev.

1 Message

February 28th, 2010 11:00

I have a simular issue with my 8400 dimension, which i find extremely fustrating.

The source of my issue seems to be a plug coming from the power supply plugging in to the motherboard near the processor. the white plu is labeled P2 and contains 4 wires 2 black and 2 yellow. I need to reseat this plug constantly to keep the machine running. Try this and see if it starts.

The plug in my machine actually shows some discoloration that i would guess is from high heat. I suspect that perhaps there is some lack of connectivity due to the heat the plug experienced. I am not sure if i can replace the plug and solve the issue or if anyone has a better more permanent solution

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 28th, 2010 12:00

I have a simular issue with my 8400 dimension, which i find extremely fustrating.

The source of my issue seems to be a plug coming from the power supply plugging in to the motherboard near the processor. the white plu is labeled P2 and contains 4 wires 2 black and 2 yellow. I need to reseat this plug constantly to keep the machine running. Try this and see if it starts.

The plug in my machine actually shows some discoloration that i would guess is from high heat. I suspect that perhaps there is some lack of connectivity due to the heat the plug experienced. I am not sure if i can replace the plug and solve the issue or if anyone has a better more permanent solution

mws12062

If there are charred or burnt connectors on the motherboard's 24-pin and 4-pin power connections, then you need to replace both the motherboard and power supply.

While the case is open, check the motherboard for capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Bev.

No Events found!