Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2012 18:00

can you update a dell inspiron I570?

I got the dell inspiron I570-8011BK. I bought this because I want to get into some computer gaming stuff ( i like world of warcraft so yeah) :p And i figured a desktop is better because I can update it and stuff like that...... but my cousin said I can't do anything to it like new video cards and stuff.... is this true? sorry idk much about this stuff yet just starting and wanted some other people to ask..

117 Posts

March 14th, 2012 04:00

There are LOTS of things you can do to an Inspiron 570 to make it perform at a level higher than you'd imagine. When I first purchased my computer, I ran the Passmark Performance Test and had a composite benchmark score of 726 for the computer. Since then I upgraded to a Cooler Master 500w PSU, AMD Athlon X3 455 processor, Dynatron P985 CPU cooler, 8GB Crucial 1333mhz DDR3 RAM (was 16gb but stopped recognizing it), Asus Radeon 6670 Graphics Card, Noctua 92mm case fan, Vented PCI covers, and Asus DVD+RW Dual Layer. I still need to tweek the cooling situation and add a SSD to launch Windows and a few programs from. Still, I just ran the latest test tonight and had a system composite benchmark score of 1734. That's 238% the original system performance. GIven I figure that between the Belkin USB Wireless-N adapter, and my Microsoft Arc keyboard and Logitech Touchpad  wireless mouse, I'm in a bit over $400 on top of what I paid for the basic i570 tower.  That being said, the computer is now faster than the majority of Phenom X4 systems I see scored without being upgraded, many of which cost FAR more than the total I've spent playing around with my rig.

Just use the forums here early and often for advice and clarification before buying anything expensive or non-returnable. Some things like the heatsink/cpu cooler for the i570 are just plain weird and are only going to be replaceable with very specific parts. Some other issues such as the graphics card PCI-express port being the top of the four- with the bottom slot partially blocked by a part of the motherboard-  can take easy upgrades like a PCI exhaust off the table for the most part.

I would start with maxing the system RAM out, then move to items like a better case fan and beefier PSU (PSU only if you plan on running a middle/higher end graphics card or new CPU). Basically do the easy stuff first and get familiar with the procesesses. I did my processor and cpu cooler assembly FAR too early and nearly fried the entire system. :emotion-6:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 13th, 2012 19:00

mikeyfitness 

Your cousin is wrong, the Inspiron 570 can upgraded, eg. PCI Express x 16 video card, memory, AMD processor and if required also, the power supply.

Bev.

57 Posts

March 13th, 2012 20:00

really?? so i can go to computer stores and buy some cool stuff and upgrade it? sorry idk if you just answered that question or not im not the smartest with computer talk yet lol you threw some words at me i didnt understand :p

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 13th, 2012 21:00

mikeyfitness

Yes, you sure can, I've found www.newegg.com a good vendor for this.

Bev.

57 Posts

March 14th, 2012 09:00

OSmusicjunkie,

Thanks for all that info I really really appreciate it. Figured this was the best bang for my buck (spent about 500) because it came with everything plus a 20 inch screen thats actually pretty nice. Will be updating soon and looking on here for info, thanks :)

893 Posts

March 14th, 2012 12:00

And also look at my name (click on it, it will lead you to all my posts) - posts, you will find a lot of useful information. So you know, I had Athlon II X2 250, and now I have Phenom II X4 965 BE - so far the strongest reported processor in Inspiron 570. Prior to updating, figure out first how much money you want to spend, it is easy to spend here extra 400-500 USD. And, finally, prior to asking questions or help, please post your current system specifications, especially hardware - Inspiron 570 has a lot of configurations...

All Inspiron 570 initially have all the same except for the processor, and as you upgrade you will add more good stuff to the mix, so please update your configuration list as well.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 14th, 2012 13:00

i said what kind i had and i clearly stated that i DONT KNOW MUCH about computers yet so the "specs" are not known because.... i donno how to find them :D:D didn't really answer my question but i guess thanks..

mikeyfitness

Use the free Speccy download from HERE and install it.

Speccy will give you the system current configuration and specifications.

Bev.

57 Posts

i said what kind i had and i clearly stated that i DONT KNOW MUCH about computers yet so the "specs" are not known because.... i donno how to find them :D:D didn't really answer my question but i guess thanks..

57 Posts

its okay i dont want to download any stuff from unknown sources.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 14th, 2012 14:00

its okay i dont want to download any stuff from unknown sources.

mikeyfitness

Piriform is a well know and respected site, I've been using their downloads, eg CCleaner, Speccy and Defraggler on both 32 and 64-bit, Win7/XP/Vista systems for several years without any issues.

Bev.

893 Posts

March 14th, 2012 17:00

Wow. Provided link will lead you eventually to filehippo for Speccy 1.16.317, is filehippo.com is OK for you (perfect for me, took so much things from them)? Or you can look for processor information yourself, manually, we just suggest you an easy way. And no, you did not provided us with any valuable information "8011BK" doesn't tell me anything. So if you need help, please help us to help you.

57 Posts

March 14th, 2012 19:00

as you can see i already got all the help i needed lol alls i needed to know was if i can update it or not I DONNO WHAT KIND OF INFO I PROVIDED BECAUSE I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS YET!! and that "8011BK" is whats on the box that the computer came out of so I thought thats what it was sorry im not a genius on computers thats why im on here asking a simple question. have a good evening ;]

13 Posts

June 28th, 2012 23:00

OCMusicJunkie, I have a question about my Inspiron 570 Desktop. It recently stopped working all a sudden. I wanted to know if I could replace the motherboard without the same processor if the MB supports it?

No Events found!