Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2017 09:00

cannot get two monitors to work

I recently purchased two Dell Ultra Sharp 24 in monitors "U2417H" and connect to my Dell Optiplex 990. I plugged one monitor in using the DP port (mDP-monitor to DP computer) and it works fine. The other monitor I purchased a cable that connected to the monitor using the DP port and connected to the computer using DVI-D and it does not work (DP-monitor to DP computer). My graphics card is AMD Radeo HD 7500 series, it has DP and DVI ports.  I tried my co-works Dell 24in monitor (P2414H) using a VGA connection and it works.  I have updated all my drivers for my graphics card.  The monitor that isn't working doesn't even register.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 9th, 2017 16:00

What form factor 990, and what version of Windows?

Are  you sure that video card port is DVI-D and not DVI-I ? My quick Google search says it's DVI-I. So maybe it's just the wrong video cable..?

Is the Intel Multi-monitor setting enabled or disabled in BIOS setup (reboot and press F2 to enter setup)? The manual says this setting should only be enabled (default setting) for Win 7.

downloads.dell.com/.../optiplex-990_service manual_en-us.pdf

If you swap the 2 new monitors around, does the one that "doesn't register" now work when it's connected mDP>DP?

If these monitors have an on-screen display (OSD) that's opened by pressing one or combination of buttons on the monitor, have you opened OSD and confirmed that each monitor is set correctly to use the input port you're actually using on that monitor?

307 Posts

June 9th, 2017 16:00

I think the subject of your thread is wrong. If I understand you correctly, using your friend's monitor you got two monitors to work. I would focus on the cable interface to the monitor that does not work. I would try DVi-D to HDMI.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2017 17:00

The different types of DVI could make it not work?  My old set up was a VGA to a converter VGA to DVI-A and it works.  I assumed that the new monitor would work with a DVI-D, being that it is digital.

No Events found!