Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2011 15:00

cannot read new harddrive and array failure not bootable HELP!!

hi guys

Realy hoping someone can help me out ere!

Recently failed hard drive forced me to replace it i have a dimension 9150 windows xp

also i've replaced and uped the ram and graphics card at same time.

Being i guess green and not realy knowing what i was doing i just swapped the said items over

now i have array failure and cannot boot.

im not worried so much for the data on the second hard drive as there is a backup on my external drive.

So what i realy what to know is how do i reinstall windows and correct this raid issue.

by the way im no techno genius so id realy be greatful for step through on this if possible.

thousand thanks to all in advance Please help me lol!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 14th, 2011 16:00

Hi Justapalla,

"No techno genius" didn't stop you from replacing the hard drive, RAM and video card, did it? :emotion-3:

Anyway, are you running two hard drives in a RAID array? If not, boot to the BIOS and set the ATA operation to RAID Autodetect/ ATA and you should be all set to reinstall the operating system.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2011 05:00

hi Osprey4

Thanks for your reply

Basically here is some info from the bios screen that may show you  what and where im going wrong ere!i,ve take new hard drive out and reinstalled old and managed to get windows reloaded but the following info shows still errors in raid and of course a return code7error on old hard drive which i believe is a driver reinstall >but this im not exactly sure about !>before i list raid volumes and details its my intension to install the new hard drive with the other working hard drive but because im afraid of damaging it or messing it up in trying to correct this raid issue with the new drive ive sort of decided it be practice in doing it on existing old drives first>if u think i can do this raid array configuration easy then id follow your advise on this with the new drive.

Following details

raid volumes>id=0  level=raido(stripe)  strip=128kg  size=298.0GB   STATUS=FAILED   BOOTABLE=NO

Oringinal hard drives

port   size

0        149.0GB  MEMBER DISK 0

2        149.0GB   NON MEMBER DISK

FOR YOUR IMFO THE NEW INTENDED HARD DRIVE

IS WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB SATA/64MB CACHE

so sorry about the way this has been write but im pannicing lol!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 15th, 2011 06:00

You're using RAID 0 (striping). But one of your drives has failed (code 7), so your RAID is DEAD DEAD DEAD. 

Do you have all of your data backed up? This is pretty easy to fix.

No Events found!