Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 14th, 2012 08:00

connect pc to tv audio

I got my old Dell XPS T800 hooked up to my TV via VGA cable. Works fine.

Can't find single or double 3.5mm (PC jacks) and RCA cable.

The only cables I find are 3.5mm to a Y with 2 RCA plugs.

My computer has three sound connections, 2 for speakers, 1 for woofer.

TV has no woofer, but I have two speakers connections to hook up, or so I thought.

Am I missing something obvious? I think the Y cables are for another purpose.

Why can't I find an appropriate 3.5mm to RCA cable? Do new pc's use something else and mine is so old I won't find anything?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 14th, 2012 09:00

You need the 3.5 adapter with 2 rca plugs and the usual tv rca right/left audio cables same as you use to hook up a vcr. The only connector on the computer you use is the green speaker out sound card connection, the same one you use for the speakers. You do not connect to the speakers. So you can either listen to tv audio from the computer's external speakers or from the tv. If you are using your tv as a monitor, you don't need the sound connected to tv at all. Use the computer external speakers instead for better sound. Not the best solution but it should work.  A new computer will have an hdmi port with sound to connect to a tv.

June 14th, 2012 09:00

I am not using speakers with this setup. TV is PC monitor.

I got this part.

>>"The only connector on the computer you use is the green speaker out sound card connection."

I don't understand this part.

>>"the same one you use for the speakers."

The computer used to connect to the sub-woofer via 3 cables. speakers connected by 2 cables from woofer. Using all that on the new computer.

So I get a 3.5mm that splits to 2 RCA plugs and just use the green plug-in on the computer and forget all the rest, if I got this right.

Thank you very much. It takes awhile, but I usually manage to figure it out.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 14th, 2012 11:00

The speakers have nothing to do with this. Look on the back of the old computer tower. There is (or used to be) a connection to the subwoofer from the sound card. That is the green port you unplug the woofer and connect the 3mm Y splitter and attach rca audio cables to the tv. Now I'm confused--what sound card do you have and what do you mean by 'connected to the new computer.'  What new computer? Are you asking about setting up a new computer to use the tv as a monitor or the old T800? Your original post did not mention a new computer.

June 14th, 2012 13:00

The new computer is not involved in this project. It is already using the speakers from the old one.

I got the cable. plugged the 3.5 into the green hole on the computer I am working with and the red and white RCA plugs into the same colors on the TV. Project should be done.

Thank you. Sorry if my rambling confused you.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 14th, 2012 15:00

No problem-- glad you got it fixed. One thing you probably know--you have to switch to vga or PC input on the tv itself. I forget that sometimes--might be Video 2, Video 3 or PC or something else. Check the tv manual.

No Events found!