Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2013 12:00

dell 760 Wont boot

Had to replace a Dell optiflex 760 HD

so

in the process I blew out the dust with a data fan, reset the memory

it will not boot holding the power button in

I can power it on with the rear PS button, but the front panel power lights says amber

I upnluged all of the power cables and reset the CMOS , no luck

Thank you for taking my question

1.3K Posts

April 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi Matt7085,

Is the power button LED blinking or solid amber?

In case of Blinking Amber:

The power supply is receiving power from the source but is unable to properly distribute it to the components

The blinking amber LED tells us that the power supply-to-system board connection is good, along with the connections among the system board, I/O panel, and control panel. This, in turn, tells us the source and power cord are likely to be functional.
For example, the blinking amber LED can be caused by the voltage selector switch on the back of the PSU being set incorrectly. It can also be caused by installing the system memory or 4-pin processor power cable incorrectly.

The LED does not pinpoint the problem; it simply tells you that, for whatever reason, the system is unable to properly distribute power to the installed components.

Depending on the components installed and the condition of those components, the LED may progress past blinking amber and move to solid amber.

In case of Solid Amber:

The power supply is functioning, but the system is not processing data.

Please check the status of the diagnostic LEDs and let me know which numbers are lit. The diagnostic LEDs are numbered 1,2,3 & 4.

The diagnostic LEDs are located on the front of the chassis next to the power button/between or below the headphone connector and the USB connectors, depending on the chassis. The diagnostic LEDs are located on the back of the system on the ultra small form factor (USFF) chassis. These diagnostic LEDs are only active and visible during the POST process. Once the operating system starts to load, they turn off and are no longer visible.

Please reply with the details so that I am able to assist you better.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site 

14 Posts

April 24th, 2013 14:00

Bad power supply. 100% positive. Generally cause by bad caps in the power supply. I've seen this quite frequently lately, with the exact same symptoms. You can buy a new power supply on ebay for $40 or $50 bucks. You can also buy the capacitors for a couple dollars at radio shack if you are confident you can do the soldering. Also, be careful with the capacitors if you do attempt it yourself. They can be very nasty if they get ya.

1.3K Posts

April 29th, 2013 16:00

Hi Matt7085,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

No Events found!