Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 16:00

dell dimension 5150 desktop

hi

I recently reloaded windows xp onto my dell dimension 5150. there is no sound from the pc. i have an audigy advanced mb sound card and i have installed the driver that came with it but the sound still did not work. when i uninstalled the creative driver and scanned for hardware changes the system detected a sigmatel high definition audio codec. however when i go to start>all programs>accessories>entertainment>volume control i get the message "there are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to control panel and to add hardware."

when i go to device manager and look under "sound game and video controllers" all drivers that are installed appear to be installed ok as there are no yellow exclamation marks.

i have tried installing lots of different drivers but none work. please help as i have spent days trying to sort this problem out with no success. thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2009 04:00

Creative Drivers

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D)

Sigmatel Drivers

STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Seems to me I tried this as well and there were SEVERAL windows KB that needed to be installed before the audio worked.

I would try service pack2 for XP at a miniumum

Drivers & Downloads

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 17:00

thanks for the reply. i installed all the windows updates today but still no sound. my sound card is a soundblaster audigy advanced hd one - so which of the drivers that you listed above would be suitable for mine?

thanks

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 17:00

when looking in device manager there is a "sigmatel high definition audio codec installed". on second thoughts i am not sure if i actually have a audigy advanced soundcard as on my dell receipt it says "Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced HD audio" - so maybe this is just software rather than the soundcard. even if this is true which driver, if any, do i need to install so that i can hear sound?

6 Posts

April 10th, 2009 02:00

Currently in device manager the following is displayed:

- audio codecs

- audio codecs

- legacy audio drivers

- legacy video capture devices

- media control devices

- sigmatel high definition audio codec (location 65535: internal high definition audio bus - this device is working properly)

- sigmatel high definition audio codec (location: on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System - the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)) - yellow exclamation mark appears

- sigmatel high definition audio codec (location 0: the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)) - yellow exclamation mark appears

how do i resolve the last two items above please?

June 24th, 2009 09:00

Hi all,

I face the same problem. Only, I have no sound whatsoever, not even headphones. I have a Dimension 5150 desktop, and tried about all the standard stuff now: I've tried the µsoft link in this thread, didn't work. Searched for standard drivers on dell.com, couldn't find any. Update driver automatic, failed. Reinstall driver, failed. Search on recomended places on the HD, couln't find any. ...

Since Dell forces people to use IE for support (and I refuse to do so), I'll try it this way. Anybody any idea ? All help highly appreciated.

THX !

PS: this item seems to cause quite some trouble if you see the Laptop forum and this one...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I have a Dimension E510 which is the US version of the 5150.

When doing a new install, the Intel chipset drivers MUST be installed before installing the sound drivers.  The install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers such as sound, video, etc.

The Audigy Advanced MB is ONLY a software enhancement to the SigmaTel audio.  You must have the SigmaTel installed (and working) before installing the Soundblaster Audigy Advanced MB software option.  This software is not downloadable since it was an optional at extra cost item, but you should have a disc for this.

If the chipset drivers were not installed, install them and then the SigmaTel drivers.  In most cases this will work but in a a few cases a new (and correct sequence) install is needed.

One of the Intel Chipset Drivers primary functions is that they define all the devices on or attached to the motherboard.

Intel Chipset Drivers 

SigmaTel Drivers 

1 Message

hi i am john

my problem is i have formatted my hard drive cos have a nasty virus on it...and now i cant install windows xp pro on it ..i have a dimension 5051c

tried all sorts had to buy a external floppy to efdisk it but still no joy it keeps saying no floppy disk found....can anyone help me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

June 29th, 2009 04:00

THANK YOU ALL. I simply installed the FireBerd links, and it worked instantly.

Many many many thanks ! To all of you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 29th, 2009 13:00

Trust the "old retired geezer" :emotion-11::emotion-1:

No Events found!