Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2013 12:00

dell factory image restore

Hi,

I  bought a dell desktop inspiron 660 with windows 8. Now I want to re_install OS on a new hard drive with dell factory image restore. But I did not find the System Recovery Option in the BIOS. I am wondering if I am allowed to do it. Who can help me?

1.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hi jlsbzyhstw,

Dell systems are shipped with the factory image that you need to burn to Recovery Media for future use. You will need to use the Recovery Media if created when the system was purchased to install the Windows on a new hard drive. Else, you will need the Windows re-installation disk to install the Windows on the new hard drive. Here is the link http://dell.to/19lbQtd that you can refer to for steps on installing Windows using re-installation disk.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 13:00

There is no System Recovery Option in BIOS. The Reset and Refresh options in Win 8  are done from a partition on the existing hard drive.

You may need to create backup media with Windows own backup capabilities or use 3rd party imaging software to image the old drive on DVDs. And then swap the drives and use those disks with the new drive. Note, if you image the drive, make sure the software allows you to resize the partition on the new drive. Even if the new drive is bigger than the old one, the image will only use the same amount of space as on the old drive, unless you're able to resize it on the new drive to use all the space.

You can also try contacting Dell to ask them for Win 8 reinstallation Media. If you're in the US, start here. If ex-US, contact Dell in your region.

EDIT: Saharsh types faster than I do.

No Events found!