Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2016 12:00

dell optiplex 7010 ram upgrade problem

Hi 

i just bought a refurbished dell optiplex 7010 with 8GB of ram but its to small for my neads with dula monitor setup.  after a long fight to fix SSD support with second HDD i went and bought Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit and its strange Memtest is finishing whole test but internal test is finding some problems *(different errors with one or two ram installed) and Windows 10 is unstable ... what is the problem is there a list of supported memory types ? is this ram to fast for this PC i will try a slower 16GB kit form Goodram mabe it will work ..

my bios is A21 with loaded default setup .. big thx for help 

• 

17K Posts

May 19th, 2016 09:00

LBSNIEZEK,

Below are the memory specs and memory information for the Optiplex 7010.

Type DDR3 synch dram non-ecc memory
Memory speed 1333/1600mhz
Memory connectors four (MT, DT, SFF), two (USFF)
Memory capacities 2gb, 4gb, 6gb and 8gb
Minimum memory 2gb
Maximum memory

32gb on MT, DT, SFF
16gb on USFF

NOTE:

1600mhz memory will only perform as 1600mhz memory when 3rd generation (iVb) cpus are used. it will perform as 1333mhz memory if 2nd generation (snb) i3 2130, i3 2125, i3 2120, g860, g850 cpus are installed in the system. it will perform as 1066mhz memory if 2nd generation (snb) g640, g630, g540, g530, g460 cpus are installed in the system.

Memory

the Optiplex 7010 system supports up to 16 gb of memory in the mini-tower (MT), desktop (DT), small form factor (SFF) and ultra-small form factor (USFF) chassis with 64-bit operating system. the memory speed supported is 1333/1600mhz ddr3 memory.

NOTE:
however, when system is installed with Intel® core™ g630, 2.70ghz, 3m, Vt-x, 65w processor, the maximum supported memory speed is 1066mhz regardless of whether the 1333/1600mhz ram is plugged in.

however, 32-bit operating systems can only use maximum 4gb memory address space. certain components within the computer require address space in the 4gb range, any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 4gb.

NOTE:
memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. if the memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance.
NOTE:
the total amount of available memory will be less than 4gb. the amount less depends on the actual system configuration. to fully utilize 4gb or more of memory requires a 64-bit enabled processor and 64-bit operating system

what is ddr3 memory?

ddr3 continues the evolution in memory technology and provides several improvements to the existing ddr2 architecture. the primary benefit is an increase of the i/o bus to operate at 4 times the speed of the memory cell it contains. ddr3 also allows for chip capacities from 512 mb to 8 gb. this ability in effect allows for memory modules of up to 16 gb in size. 

CAUTION:
memory slots on system boards that support ddr3 are keyed to onlY accept ddr3 modules. ddr2 will not fit into a ddr3 slot and ddr3 will not fit into a ddr2 slot.

memory configuration

DDR memory can run in dual-channel mode, which allows the system to have twice the memory bandwidth using the same memory technology.

dual-channel configurations

to achieve dual-channel performance, the total memory in each channel must be the same. if the channels do not match or if the system has only one dimm installed, the system memory operates in single-channel mode or in dual channel asymmetrical mode. the system works normally in single-channel mode, but the user loses the benefit of increased memory throughput.

dual-channel mode is always present when both memory channels are populated. however, for optimum dual-channel performance, the size of the modules must match.

memory channels
channel a channel b BIOS says performance
dimm no dimm single channel single channel
dimm same as channel a dual channel interleaved dual channel interleaved
dimm same as channel a except speed dual channel interleaved
(in lowest dimm speed)
dual channel interleaved
(in lowest dimm speed)
dimm same as channel a except density dual channel interleaved dual channel interleaved
dimm same as channel a except size dual channel asymmetric single channel
no dimm dimm single channel single channel

basically, when both dimm connectors are populated, the system has optimum dual-channel performance unless channels a and b have different amounts of memory.

memory speeds

some confusion has been created due to the difference in the actual listings for speed ("mhz") and the way memory is described from a sales standpoint ("pc XXXXXX"). the listings below should resolve any confusion.

pc3-6400 = 800 mhz
pc3-8500 = 1066 mhz
pc3-10666 = 1333 mhz
pc3-12800 = 1600 mhz

troubleshooting

4gb memory barrier

the Windows® Xp release as well as 32-bit versions of Windows Vista can only use a maximum of 4 gb of address space. however, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 4 gb. certain components within the computer require memory address space in the 4 gb range. any memory address space reserved for these components cannot be used by the operating system

NOTE:
this is a limitation of a 32-bit architecture: the system can only address 4 gb of allocated memory. allocated memory is made up of physical ram and any i/o space needed by devices. normally this is not a problem, but when a system has 4 gb of physical memory, the memory addresses needed to map ram overlap the space needed for the i/o devices. in this case the need for i/o space takes precedence, and the amount of ram visible to the operating system is limited to 4 gb minus the i/o allocation.

testing memory

the easiest way to check for memory problems is to run the Dell psa+ diagnostics which include a very robust memory test. if the system does not have psa+ diagnostics or they are not available, then the mpmemory test (included with the latest version of Dell 32-bit diagnostics) is the best testing method.

for intermittent problems, try swapping memory modules with another system and see if the problems continue. if no swap is available, then remove one memory module at a time to see if the problems continue. if you can isolate the problem to one module, then try testing the system repeatedly (using one of the tests mentioned above) with only the suspected problem memory module installed.

16 Posts

April 9th, 2017 03:00

Did you solve the problem? I Have also an Optiplex 7010 and would like to upgrade to 16gb.

Do you have another RAM? Which one?

2 Posts

April 9th, 2017 08:00

Cheapest oem ram from refurbished pc worked ok

16 Posts

April 9th, 2017 09:00

And Crucial 16gb Kit works not?

No Events found!