Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2015 17:00

dell optiplex 745 blinking amber lights

What is causing an amber light to flash on front of my optiplex?  When I got home today I noticed that we had a power failure. The power was back on but the breaker to the room my computer is in had tripped after resetting it I have the amber light flashing. All I know is that it means a power issue. The light on the motherboard is on. I noticed when I had the side panel off that when I first turn the power on the fan will turn about an inch then stops. How can I fix this.

1.2K Posts

January 16th, 2015 04:00

Good day!

Thank you for writing to the community.I am Jennifer and I work for the Dell Social Media Team.

Request your assistance by helping me with the result of these troubleshooting steps,

*)Disconnect the system from the wall socket,press and hold on to the power button for about 20 seconds.Then connect the  system to the wall socket and turn on the system .Here we tried to release the static power from the system,check and let me know if the system powers on .

*)Have you tried if the same issue is seen with a different power supply unit and is it possible for you to test this power supply unit on a different system.

*)I would also like to know if you have tried any troubleshooting steps on your own .

To help you assist better can you also provide your system service tag or express service code to perform system specific troubleshooting.Please revert to this thread if you feel that any unresolved query persists in this regard and our team will gladly assist you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Have a great day ahead.

Kindest Regards,

Jennifer

#IWork4Dell

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 16th, 2015 05:00

The light on the motherboard only indicates that 5V standby is available.  It DOES NOT indicate that the power supply is working or good.

Flashing Amber is bad power supply.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2015 16:00

Unplugging for 20 seconds didn't help.  The service tag # is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>.  The only thing I tried trobleshooting was tested the cord with multimeter, it showed normal voltage. Also I unplugged a couple things inside but not all to try and isolate the problem. I looked for a bist button but don't think this model has one.

1.2K Posts

January 19th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us!Yes you are absolutely right this model does not have PSU BIST.

According to the information provided the power supply unit is faulty along with that I suspect the motherboard could have failed.I have checked your system's warranty details and I would regret to inform that its out of warranty .

Hence you can contact our chat support team who assist you with quotation for power supply unit and motherboard.

This is the link for our chat support team .

http://dell.to/1v07rDI

Else kindly send me these  details via private message so that I can contact my colleagues from US who can assist you with the quotation.

*)Physical address and shipping address,
*)contact no(along with an alternate no)

Or if you would wish to purchase the parts from an external source you may do so but then would advise you to buy motherboard along with power supply unit since the issue may or may not be resolved if only the power supply unit is replaced.Awaiting a reply from you !

Have a great day ahead .

Kindest Regards,

Jennifer.

#Iwork4Dell

No Events found!