Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2009 16:00

dell xps 420 sound reciently becaume too quiet

Recently my Dell XPS 420 sound levels droped.  I can still hear sound, but not loud enough to watch/listen to moves.  Of course I attempted tuning up the volume, not only the general device volume, but averything listed in the Windows vista mixer.  I went through every windows control I can find to attemp to increase the volume levels, but no success.  I am not certain what else to try.  Driver? Mechanical issue?  Does anyone have any ideas?

19 Posts

November 11th, 2009 18:00

In the end, I resolved this by purchasing  a new sound card.  This resolved the issue right away. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2009 03:00

Plug a headset into the front panel headphone jack and see what volume you get there.  If it's "normal" volume level, plug the headset into the rear GREEN speaker jack and if it's normal there, the problem is in your speaker system.

What sound do you have? the standard integrated (on the motherboard) audio or do you have an optional SoundBlaster Xfi sound card?

19 Posts

January 24th, 2009 14:00

I would say the volume is issue is the same using the headphone jack: listening to a movie through the speakers is difficult to hear, but it is also difficult to hear through the headphones. 

The issue only shows itself when listening to movies.  Listening to music (through iTunes) or even streaming video online (I am told, although I have not confimed this) does not produce quiet audio.  However watching DVDs on the computer does cause an issue.   

It is of course important to note that this is a recent problem as of a few weeks ago. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 25th, 2009 03:00

Most of the Volume Control settings have one for CD/DVD audio, check that and make sure the volume control for that is not set down (low). 

Also, since it's DVD's it could be a setting in the program you use to play DVD's.  Many players have setups for the audio, and if it's set for the wrong type, for example, it could cause low audio in DVD's.

Since other media types are OK, that eliminates the actual audio module - it just gets data (digital sound) from whatever source and converts it to analog audio and outputs it to the speaker (or headphones).  It's the same, no matter where it comes from so the problem is where the digital audio is coming from.

19 Posts

January 27th, 2009 05:00

Thanks for your response.  I hate to confuse the situation, but I am not 100% certain it is always limited to DVDs.  I believe a Video Game (MS Flight Simulator) has the issue as well, I will have to confirm.  I mention this as the issue may have shown itself about the time I installed this application. 

AS far as the DVD player causing the issue: I am typically using MS Windows Media Center. Other than the on screen Volume control (which  is at the maximum level) I don't see any program setting to adjust the volume, nor would I expect to.  The issue occurs when playing DVDs though Windows Media Player as well.  Perhaps the issue is related to a messed up codec/driver?  If not that, then there is some internal sound setting that I am missing. 

Thanks,

d

19 Posts

September 6th, 2009 19:00

Bump.  I am still having this issue (6 months later).  Again sound is Very quiet on my system.  Tired adjusting the volume (everywhere), installing the latest drivers, different speakers, different sound jacks, but nothing helped.  Both sets of speakers work on other systems. 

I should add that this is _not_ limited just to DVD/CD.  Hulu and other video is quiet.  Also, the windows "sound" control pannel, the sounds tab, sounds play quietly.   however when modifying the play device (sound control panel, playback tab, double click on default speakers), the test sound is loud.

Could this be mechanical?  How do I check the health of the onboard audio?  Should I swicth this with a sound card and disable onboard audio?? 

Any help is appreciatated.  Thanks.

1 Message

November 7th, 2009 09:00

I've had the same problem after I've reinstalled Windows Vista for nearly a year. Today I could solve it with some simple steps.

In the taskbar at the bottom on the right you see the sound icon. Open the context menu and have a look at the playing devices. Double-click on your reproducer to see the properties of it. In the second tab you can change the level. I suppose it is already 100. However, press the Balance button and change L and R from 24 to 100 and the sound is much louder!

I hope it works for you, too. Let me know it!

1 Message

October 19th, 2011 22:00

YES! I would have never thought to check the balance. Sure enough the max was set at 19. WOW. Thanks!

No Events found!