Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2015 06:00

dell xps 435t/9000 motherboard

Hi im new to this forum so forgive me if i post out of place or in someway wrong. But besides that, I am an A+ student at a tech school, i was given a dell xps 435t/9000 by a customer the other day. The motherboard is bad on it, and the customer decided to just give it to me. The dell website says there is no product replacement parts for this model. Does anyone know where i can find one?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 24th, 2015 07:00

The Dell Dimension Studio xps 435t / 9000 is not a current model.  Its like asking for parts for a 1947 volkswagen beetle.   You cant get many parts from the dealer but you can find parts on Amazon/Ebay etc . Some people are crazy and want to charge as much for a board as the entire unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Studio-XPS-435T-9000-PC-Desktop-Intel-Core-i7-2-66GHz-6GB-DDR3-2-x-640GB-/141634794186

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Studio-XPS-435T-9000-Desktop-Motherboard-w-Intel-Core-i7-920-2-67GHz-I-O-/221879401291

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 24th, 2015 12:00

Out of curiosity, how do you know the motherboard is dead?

September 25th, 2015 05:00

Im an A+ student at a tech school, a secretary from our ofice brought the desktop in. We troubleshooted the pc and found everything was hooked up correctly. The psu is functional, everything is hooked up, yet the pc will not power on. So my teacher concluded the motherboard must be bad. So i was given the pc. If you have any tips or ideas to try and see if its something else i would be happy to hear them. It may not be the motherboard, we were rushed that day, i would be happy if it was not the motherboard

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 25th, 2015 06:00

Being A+ certified does not bestow on you the Hogwarts Computer Wizard Cap.  I have never seen a "BAD" motherboard from this series ever.  They use standard power supplies so a corsair CS750M is a recommended replacement.

The LED on the back does not mean that the power supply is good.

The BIST (Built in Self test) is what that LED and button are for.

Power Supply Self Diagnostic Features
Some Dell computers have power supplies that include a self-diagnostic feature. The test button for the power supply is visible on the back of the system. This LED is not the same as the flea power LED on the motherboard (which also only says +5VSB is working NOT the Power supply is OK). Press and hold the self-diagnostic switch on the power supply -
* If the LED stays green, the supply is functioning
* If the LED stays off, get the power supply replaced

September 25th, 2015 07:00

Thanks but the psu is working. I swapped it into another desktop and it ran
just fun. Also used a psu tester on it and it is working as well. And your
correct being A+ certified does not mean your a wizard with computers. But
it does mean you know your *** and have not self taught yourself
everything you know. Just like fixing cars in your garage for 10 years is
not the same thing as being an actual mechanic. The BIST is something im familiar with, i appreciate the help, but again it is not the psu, any other suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 25th, 2015 11:00

Define "not power on".

Does LED on motherboard come on and stay on when PC is connected to working outlet (even without pressing the power button)?

Does the power button light up after it's pressed? If it lights, what color and is it steady or blinking?

Have you visually examined all USB ports to see if any are bent/broken and shorted?

Have you tested the front power button and reseated the cable connections between the front panel and motherboard at both ends?

Have you installed a new motherboard battery?

Have you stripped it down to bare essentials by removing all PCI cards except video, disconnecting all drives except boot HDD, and remove all RAM modules except the one in slot 1?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 25th, 2015 12:00

With the supply properly attached to the motherboard what does the paperclip test do?

Find the green and black wires and do a paperclip test.

You can put it in via the backside of the connector with the POWER SUPPLY to motherboard connectors all attached.

No Events found!