Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2017 16:00

dell xps 8700 won't boot and f12 f8 and f2 don't do anything

help

Machine worked well for 3 years.   It is running windows 7.  

However it now won't boot.   The Dell logo appears and if you hit the return key f2 settings f12 boot options menu occurs but then disappears.   I have tried repeatedly  hitting the f12 key or the f2 key or the f8 key but nothing happens.   Previously this problem appeared in a thread  (on another Dell model)  and was fixed by removing and replacing the connectors on the primary drive.   I tried this but it didn't effect my problem,    I've lost the restore drive but have a copy of windows 10 on a flash drive.  but I can't configure to boot from usb because f12 is'nt recognized.   HELP

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

May 4th, 2017 16:00

It might be worth a shot trying to remove the CMOS battery (first though have the system unplugged after holding the power button), then try to power the system on (still unplugged). Afterwards, reinsert the battery, close the case and power the system.Or you could try clearing the CMOS using the jumper (pg 84 in the manual). 

Here is a link to the Service Manual with steps.

If this doesn't work, and none of the other USB ports are working, there might be a chance that the board has failed. 

Best regards,

Brad

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 17:00

When you press F12/F2 are you at least able to get to the Boot menu/BIOS before everything disappears? Also, have you tried a different keyboard? If you can get to the Boot Menu I would recommend trying to run diagnostics. Is the system doing anything else?

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 18:00

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I can't get  to the Boot menu.   The function keys have no effect.   I have tried two different key boards, nether works.  

3 Posts

May 6th, 2017 15:00

Brad

Thank you very much.   I tried to reset the CMOS by first moving the password jumper to the CMOS jumper but apparently I didn't do this properly.   It was a little hard to see.   I did as you suggested.   Actually I just replaced the CMOS batter .. and lo computer booted normally again.  

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

May 8th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the update! I am glad you got it working!

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!