Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2012 08:00

dimension 5150

Power button No colour on Dimension 5150 Desk top ,  (see a Green light on board ) ,have swapped parts from working PC (5150) Processor/ changed I/O panel and  power supply unit , still no colour .

Phoned Dell support ,told me to phone back on Monday !

My quandary  is  the age of the PC is it economical to repair ?

Or I am going to make a salesman happy.

HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

5 Posts

OK thanks for the advice

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Not all support is 24x7 ... your support is likely only during some extended business hours.

Repair costs depend on what needs to be replaced - drives and memory are often cheap enough, while motherboards are not.  You can get a new system for less than $400, so don't spend any where near that amount to fix it up.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

lampsout

Check the diagnostic lights on the FRONT PANEL

Regards to replacing the system, it depends on the cost of repair, if the repairs cost more than 1/3 the cost of a new computer, of the same configuration, then, personally I would think about buy new system.

Also, as a guide, I seen used e510/5150 desktops for sale on eBay for around $150.

Bev.

5 Posts

Hi Bev,

Dimension5150 - NO Diagnostic lights showing on front panel .

Regards

Lampsout

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2012 09:00

lampsout

First, try opening the case and check that all the power and data cables are properly connected, by removing and reconnecting them, especially the 24-pin and 4-pin power connectors to the motherboard and see if this makes a difference.

No difference, try the following and if you are certain that there's a KNOWN working power supply installed.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Note :- Before working inside the case, always power the PC off, remove the power cord and hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Bev.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2012 13:00

Hi Bev,

All power data cables checked NO  power light.

Removed all peripherals.

Front  panel ribbon cable  connected to motherboard  & power cable Power applied -No Bleep codes or LED at  front panel.

Looks like the motherboard has died !

As the  above PC  of no use ,can I remove memory cards and put them in  a working 5150 PC  to retrieve data ?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2012 15:00

lampsout

That's a bummer.

It's the hard drive, that has all the stored files and folders, not the memory.

One of the easiest procedures for transfering the files and folders, is to remove the SATA hard drive from the 5150 and using an USB 2.0 adaptor similar to THIS and attach the hard drive to an USB port on the new computer transfer the files and folders to it.

Also, the hard drive could be temporarily installed as the secondary hard drive in a compatible desktop and the files and folders transfered to the C: / drive.

Bev.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2012 16:00

Hi Bev,

As You can gather I  am not up to speed on PC jargon ,use PC for internet /word .

Thanks for the tips on transfer of data .

Had a look @ Dell web page for new Desktop , just a case of shopping around.

Thanks for all your help.

Lampsout

UK  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2012 20:00

lampsout

You are welcome and good luck with the computer shoppimg.

Bev.

No Events found!