Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2004 01:00

dimension 8400 spontaneous power-downs to blinking amber light

Hello,

We have a brand new Dimension 8400 - received in mid-October.  After I'd been using it for almost a month, it suddenly went black while on the internet using IE.  Monitor went off, fans stopped and the machine appeared to be shut down except that the front power button was flashing amber.  It would not respond to "any key" or moving the mouse.  I had to power it off using the power button.  Upon reboot, it remained on for about a minute and a half - and off it went again.  Another reboot, repeat problem.  We checked the power cord at the computer end, and I plugged the computer into another backed-up outlet on the UPS unit (purchased new for this machine). 

The machine operated ok for two weeks, then yesterday it inexplicably went out again as I hit the button to close the DVD ROM tray.  Same thing.... apparently dead except for blinking amber light.  The machine passes the hardware tests.  Today we opened the case and checked to be sure "the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board" as per the manual.  It is.  The voltage selection switch says "115".  We are in the US. 

Tech support advised me to change all my personal power selections to "never".  I have done this for the time being for diagnostic purposes but.....I like the hard drives to spin down, and I like the computer to be in standby mode when it's not in use for awhile.  These random events have never occurred at, during or after any scheduled powerdown times - always when the computer was either actively in use or a couple of minutes after boot-up.  The tech also suggested shutting the machine down every night. 

We aren't especially comfortable messing around inside the case, except for adding RAM or an occasional card (on our older 2 Dells), so have not tried anything other than the things the manual suggested. 

As far as peripherals go, we have a Maxtor 3000DV external firewire drive, an HP Photosmart 8150 printer, and an HP Deskjet 5550 attached all the time (printers not always on, of course).  Occasionally an HP Scanjet 5400c is attached, but it has only been powered on once or twice.  The 8150 was not installed until after the first incident.  Two different Sony Cybershots have been hooked up at times to download pictures - then removed. 

Anybody ever experience this or have any idea what it could be?  We'd appreciate any help you can give!  I have a sneaking suspicion we have an intermittent power connection failure somewhere (not a software problem), but it's very hard to diagnose.

Thanks,

Mrs. Potato Head

June 7th, 2005 22:00

BrikFace wrote:

Hello fellow DD8400FAPBLS (Dell Dimension 8400 Flashing Amber Power Button Light Sufferers) . Our next chapter meeting will be in Dallas, TX this coming July...

OMG! TOO funny!

Just wanted to also add my update to this thread. Since receiving a new PSU Rev01 on my XPS Gen3 early March, I haven't had any blinking amber light troubles at all. In fact, she's purred like a kitten since that installation. Of course, it'll be just my luck that now that I mentioned something the problem will return.

Don't know about the loose wiring theory. I will mention that my desktop lamp (on the same line as the XPS) was exhibiting slight noticeable but constant flickering while the XPS PSU starting dying. At first, I thought it mere coincidence, but since the new PSU the flickering has never returned. Thus, it seems likely that the voltage regulation of the PSU is suspect (simple English: the PSU s*cks). I'm no double E major, but I've seen that when the voltage can't be tightly regulated in certain sensitive circuits, they are designed to shut down or "reset". This is tantamount to causing a reboot with a PC. Thus, if the power driver circuit can't regulate the line voltage at all, you get reboots until the computer gives up and offers a permanent amber light. Just my two cents.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is why doesn't Dell support keep a database and log common complaints with computer types? Match the symptoms with the successful solutions and voila, save customer and the company money and time and give them the quick solution. Streamlining is common sense, right??!

Anyway, the good news is that we can say that this thread has helped a lot of people. The bad news is that many more will eventually pass this way.

LW

35 Posts

June 8th, 2005 02:00

Well, Lord Walrus, I hope your new PSU really solves it for you, but if you're like me and most others in this thread, you've only been given a temporary reprieve. I'm on my 3rd PSU. With each new one, the Flashing Amber was held at bay for a while but eventually, like a minion of Satan, returned full force. Somehow the new PSUs temporarily stabilized the situation, most likely by better initial handling of spiky/dippy voltage. Soon enough, probably through some strange cumulative de-anodizing process, the new components in their turn became susceptible to current fluctuations caused by the root defect (bad non-component pieces/wiring). My advice to people: do the shake thing to get good long stretches of problem-free use while you smash Dell over the head until they do right and swap you a new system from a later production run, complete with free new warranty set to Day Zero.

--
BF

21 Posts

June 8th, 2005 05:00

BrikFace - any idea what the rev numbers have been on your three power supplies? Since getting a replacement PSU which is a rev 04 last December, I've had no further trouble. No need to bash the box here...

9 Posts

June 8th, 2005 12:00

First off....Congratulations to dario7, helstonian, Lord Walrus II and Gcoupe!   :smileyhappy:    So happy to hear of more folks who have finally overcome their amber light issues!

Brikface - Like Gcoupe, I too am curious which Rev PSUs have been installed in your computer each time.   When I first started having amber light problems, I read through this entire thread and everyone that received a NON "REV A00" PSU ( ie. A02, A04, ect.) has had no problems ever since.  Whereas folks that were sent the A00 always had the same issues crop up again.  I respect your opinion, but would be hesitant to advise shaking a computer.  :smileysurprised:   Also, I hate to be the one to tell you, but Dell *does not* re-up your warranty when they send you a new system.  (I tried myself for this and spoke to various people up the food chain and was told a flat "no" at every turn)  They are pretty firm about this.  So if a person waits until the last month of their warranty to fight and get a new computer, then they have no protection at all unless they buy an extended warranty.

I think Lord Walrus II hit the nail on the head with his brief description of the situation concerning the voltage regulation in the A00 PSUs.  Obviously the supplier of these PSUs has corrected the problem with later revisions, but Dell must be dead set to keep dumping what A00s they have left through their contract technicians.  It appears at this point all new systems have later Revs - which may be the only way you can ensure getting a *properly functioning* PSU.  

I suppose Dell would rather keep this quiet and deal with these amber light problems one at a time - replacing the occasional system rather than publicly acknowledging that these PSUs are garbage and dealing with a recall of some sort.  *sigh*

- Firefawn

35 Posts

June 8th, 2005 14:00

Wait a second here, Firefawn. On the previous forum page it seems clear in messages from you and dario7 that both of you have received new systems. Now you say the higher rev. PSU is what did it for both of you. Which is it?.. And in any event dario7 just received his new system and apparently your swap was not all that long ago. Far too early to say Problem Solved... And about the shaking: I'm not saying to go sumo on your machine. Just a moderate shake well within what it was built to withstand. No problem at all with that.

--
BF

Message Edited by BrikFace on 06-08-2005 11:38 AM

Message Edited by BrikFace on 06-09-2005 01:00 PM

35 Posts

June 9th, 2005 17:00

Bump. I'd really like to see Firefawn's answer.

--
BF

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2005 18:00

Brikface,

If you re-read the response from Firefawn, it was just an obsevration that those of us who received a PSU with a Rev01 or higher have not had any further problems. Further, she was asking about the replacement PSUs you had received and were they all Rev00?

I also agree that I would be hesitant to advise punching and shaking the computer "like a babysitter-from-hades shaking the brains out of a crying baby". If Dell ever found that one was neglecting their computer, I would think that would terminate the warranty sooner. No??

KB

9 Posts

Hi Brikface,   

My reason for getting a new system was because I could not get Dell to *send* me the higher revision PSU.   I'm pretty sure that, had they sent me this to begin with, I would still have my old system and be reasonably happy.  Yes, my replacement system is still relatively new, but rest assured I would be back here posting if I had another problem. (LOL)  There are many others that had actively posted back in this thread that had received the higher rev PSUs and had their computer working great afterwards, eliminating the need to request a new system.  None have returned to this forum with blinking amber light problems after getting their their higher rev PSU....only those that received yet another Rev A00....

Because of this many people here have come to their own personal conclusion that the PSU was at fault.   You may have a different opinion, and thats fine.  :smileyhappy:   *My* opinion is that if someone is having bad issues with the blinking amber light/system powering off, regardless of the cause, they should contact Dell *immediately*, and if replacement parts don't fix the problem, request a new system.   Shaking their computer, even gently, is only putting off the inevitable.  And why should someone need to do this to a brand new $1000+ computer?  I just would hate for someone new to this thread and having amber light problems to read this and put off calling Dell thinking they can shake their system into working again. 

P.S. - In all seriousness, I still am curious which Revs your three PSU's were.  If they were all A00, then how can you say this isn't the problem?

-Firefawn

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Apparently I posted a few minutes late. Thanks for the clarification Firefawn.

KB

1 Message

June 9th, 2005 21:00

I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth and my happy outcome.

I went to turn on my computer the other day which is only about 2 months old.  The computer started up and started to reboot at the windows splash screen.  It did this about 3 times in a row before I hit the F8 key so I could boot up into safe mode.  I got into safe mode and a message popped up saying the registry was damaged and replaced by a copy.  I then rebooted the computer and after it hit the splash screen it came back with an error telling me that some files in by windows\system folder were corrupted and to try and repair Windows XP using the original disk, which of course is included in shipping anymore.  I'm not too happy at this point.

Fortunately I am an IT guy at a small firm and had the software at work.  I tried to repair but everytime I tried to run my computer more then a few minutes it would reboot on its own, or turn off.  I contacted Dell and after an hour or so, I was able to convince the tech that I needed a new power supply, thanks to the postings I found here.  He also included a new motherboard and memory.  About 2 days later the tech arrived and swapped out the parts.  I was able to repair the Windows install and all is up and running at this time.  Lets hope it stays this way!

One last thing, the Dell support tech was definitely not in the United States, but he was very helpful, easy to understand and even had a sense of humor.  wow.

35 Posts

June 10th, 2005 07:00

Firefawn, thanks for the response. Of the three PSUs that have been in my system, I only know the REV of two of them, and these were both A00 (the other PSU was installed and rejected by a tech and I never saw the REV #). So, yes, what you're saying is plausible and I hope it's the case (I'm not sure how many examples there really are of people who were rescued by a higher REV PSU alone-- you and dario7 are not examples, and looking back through the thread I don't see anything clearcut). In any case, I canceled a scheduled system swap and am now awaiting a PSU shipped from Dell. I must have said 12 times to the Bangalorian: "It can't be an A00, it must be an A02 or A04". He said "Sir I will do my best to make sure they ship the one you mention Sir." I give it about a 50-50 chance.

You're 100% correct that one should not have to sit there shaking an expensive new puter. I only offered that as a way for people to avoid severe downtime while they waited for Dell to give a proper response.

So, best of luck with your new system. Whatever the real cause of FAPBL, the fact that you have a later REV PSU and (hopefully) a box from a later production run should put you in the clear.

--
BF

21 Posts

June 10th, 2005 07:00

BrikFace, you wrote "I'm not sure how many examples there really are of people who were rescued by a higher REV PSU alone-- you and dario7 are not examples, and looking back through the thread I don't see anything clearcut"

I've mentioned three times in this thread that my FAPBL was cured simply with the replacement of a rev 00 power supply with a rev 04 power supply. Nothing else was needed, or done to the rest of the system, which was produced in July 2004. Now, anybody else out there who has just had the PSU replaced with a higher rev number, and the FAPBL has gone? Let's get more data points on the table.

4 Posts

June 11th, 2005 15:00

Brikface wrote : "A tiny fraction have been resolved by the alternate psu deal."

Seems to me that just about everyone on this thread who's had their problem resolved had it fixed by a change of PSU to a higher rev, so I don't know where you get this idea ?

I can report that several weeks after replacing just the psu my 8400 is still working just fine, so I know that this was the cause of my problem.

It seems clear from the evidence presented on this thread that there is definitely a problem with the A00 revision of the PSUs and that changing to a higher revision fixes the problem. Whether there is faulty wiring or an over-sensitive circuit board in the A00 PSU is entirely moot. Swapping the PSU fixes the problem. End of story.

My advice to anyone just joining this tale of woe is not to start shaking your PC but to get onto Dell and demand a new PSU. Please post back here if a higher rev PSU does NOT fix your problem.

Simon.

14 Posts

June 11th, 2005 15:00

I had to try two A00 rev PSU's before the second one worked. It is probably better to have a higher rev PSU but they might have also been refurbing Rev0 and fixing the problem.

I posted this before but I will mention this again. When you call Dell support you can say that you swapped the PSU with another Dimension 8400's and it worked. They should just dispatch a PSU to you since it will be clear that the PSU is bad.

It will probably save you alot of time with tech support.
No Events found!