Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2010 19:00

dimension 8400, turtle beach, and windows 7

Think I know:

Dimension 8400 motherboard sound  and windows 7 are not combatable!

Assuming I am correct, I assume I can get around this by installing a pci sound card which is compatable with windows 7!

I had turtle beach in my earlier computers, this one I am talking on, a 8200 and my first computer a xps. I understand these cards will not work with windows 7

I know little about sound blaster and creative labs sound cards!

First: Can I get around compatability problem by using a pci sound card?  Will I have to deactivate or address in anyway windows 7 device manager  and the on board sound card

second: Turtle beach offers a montego ddl sound card which I am sure has windows 7 drivers!  I assume it would work!  Price is about $60

third: Does anyone know of a earlier version dell part no or turtle beach retail sound card part no which would work with windows 7 and my dimension 8400!  I am  not too proud to install a used sound card! If I go used, I would prefer one which was a top of the line at its heyday! 

fourth: Same question regarding prt nos for creative labs and Sound blaster!  That is assuming they work for my application!

Any experiences or suggestions are appreciated!  There is a separate post regarding printer work around!  ANy suggestions ?

Thanks

john

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 15th, 2010 04:00

The Dell supplied Turtle Beach cards have had compatiblity problems over the years.  Even back in the Windows XP days there were users with problems and most have dumped the Turtle Beach for something else.  I don't recall anyone posting about a new Turtle Beach card and whether they work or not.   

One that I like and have used, which is PCI, is the HT Omega "Striker 7.1" sound card.  It is Win 7, both 32 and 64 bit, compatible and also has the "System Mixer" function so you can record streaming audio.   There aren't many (if any) PCI type new SoundBlaster cards around, most are PCIe and not compatible with your 8400. 

The Striker 7.1 is available from newegg.com (where I buy most of my PC parts).  Click Me  

One note, because of the Dell proprietary and undocumented front panel connector ANY sound card you install will not work with the Dell front panel headphone and mic jacks.

No Events found!