Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2005 02:00

dvd not recognized

Hi all...got home from a 2 week trip....truned on my computer and the dvd burner light stays on...can't even open it....put a dvd in the the above drive (player, not a burner and it too is not reading anything.....looked around and it shows no such devices in device manager....any suggestions on hiw to fix?  Seems odd that it all worked fine when I left and now nothing

720 Posts

January 2nd, 2005 02:00

You might try opening Device Manager again, right click on DVD/CD-ROM Drives and click "Scan for hardware changes". This works for me when one of my DVD drives mysteriously disappears.

76 Posts

January 2nd, 2005 04:00

Thanks...I tired that already but neither drive is listed...it only only has my C and A drive....very wierd...

720 Posts

January 2nd, 2005 15:00

If you have not already done so, you might want to post under DVD/CD Devices. Was your computer connected to power while you were away? Perhaps there was a power surge that did some damage. I would also try powering off the computer and disconnecting then reconnecting both drives from the power supply and system board.

76 Posts

January 2nd, 2005 20:00

Thanks...I got it working by opening the front...it seemed jammed, as if there was a dvd in it....once it popped open, it worked fine (although I did knock off the front cover strip)....must have just seized up.....and while I was a way, I turned off the power strip so it couldn't have gotten a surge.....thanks for all the help...Dave
No Events found!