Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2009 18:00

e510 4GB memory upgrade

I purchased 4 1GB 533 Kingston memory modules (KTD-DM8400A/1G) for my Dell e510, which is the correct memory (as far as I can tell).  When install them in all four slots, the BIOS recognizes each model in the correct slot.  However, when I go to the normal boot sequence I either get random device errors, serious window errors, or windows just freezes.  Reseating and other common fixes do not help.  However, if I just populate slots 1 & 2 for total RAM of 2GB, everything seems to work fine.  The manual says that if you install 4GB the system will only recognize 3.5, because the remainder is reserved for devices.  Maybe the system is not reserving the space for the drivers?  I'd like the additional RAM.  Can someone please clue me in?

37 Posts

March 27th, 2017 21:00

This may no longer apply to you since it's been so long, but a 2x2GB configuration is best in the E510 for a total of 4 GB. It is true that only 3.5 GB will actually be usable. Also, Crucial memory is considered the best and most highly recommended. If you can get memory from Dell that might be even better. As I recall, I bought two 2 GB 533 MHz chips from Dell some years ago. Worked without a hitch. Just read the owner's / service manuals on how to properly remove and install memory.

No Events found!