Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2012 06:00

e520 memory upgrade

I'm in the process of increasing RAM in my e520. After reading many posts on compatability issues, I decided to go straight to crucial.com. The suggestion from them was (a particular spec of) 2gb sticks, up to 8gb total. My original manual states max capacity is 1gb up to 4gb total. Two questions: Can I actually use 2gb sticks and is 8gb total usable and/or worth doing? Thanks for any response!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2012 13:00

I'm in the process of increasing RAM in my e520. After reading many posts on compatability issues, I decided to go straight to crucial.com. The suggestion from them was (a particular spec of) 2gb sticks, up to 8gb total. My original manual states max capacity is 1gb up to 4gb total. Two questions: Can I actually use 2gb sticks and is 8gb total usable and/or worth doing? Thanks for any response!

hongolito

Yes, the Dimension e520 supports 2gb memory modules per slot, for a total of 8gb [4 x 2gb modules.

More info here,

Unless you running a 64-bit operating system, it's probably not worth the expense of increasing the RAM above 4gb.

When you have a 32-bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory, 3±gb is all a 32-bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors and/or 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

Bev.

June 29th, 2012 12:00

Hi Hogolito,

Welcome to the Dell Community,

Thank you for posting on Dell Community Forum, The Dimension E520 Desktop supports Maximum 4GB of Memory. It employs dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM, which offers a performance advantage over DDR1 memory technology. The SDRAM controller is integrated in the Intel® P965 Express chipset. It supports industry-standard 64-bit-–wide DIMMs with synchronous SDRAM. The features supported are listed below.

• Dual DDRII SDRAM channels (can operate in single-channel mode, depending on configuration)
  • Supports up to four double-sided DIMM modules
  • Supports memory densities of 256 Mb, 512 Mb, and 1 Gb
  • Maximum memory configuration 4 GB (four 1 GB sticks)

The below link will give you detail system information of Dimension E520;

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Please reply to the post if you have any further queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Dell_Aryan_Vaishnav,

Dell Social Media Responder.

8 Posts

June 30th, 2012 07:00

Thanks both, for the responses. I will give the 2gb modules a try as even the Dell compatable parts finder lists 2gb as supported. Bev, I see lots of good posts from you in reading on other topics. Glad you're here.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 30th, 2012 08:00

hongolito

Happy to have helped. :emotion-21:

Bev.

9 Posts

November 8th, 2012 10:00

Hi Bev

Thanks for your posts above.

Does anyone know if Dell E520 can run 16gb RAM with Windows 7 64bit?

I know that it can run Q6600, Q6700 CPUs thanks to contributors to this site, but does anyone know the RAM situation?

I’m trying to build the ultimate E520!!

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 8th, 2012 11:00

Nipx

I have not read, or heard of the Dimension 520 supporting 16gb of RAM, only the 8gb, same as I have posted above.

Bev.

9 Posts

November 8th, 2012 12:00

Thanks Bev,  I'll go with the 8gb

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 8th, 2012 13:00

Nipx

You are welcome.

The reason, the Dimension E520 has an Intel G965 Express chipset that only supports a Maximum of 8gb RAM       

http://ark.intel.com/products/27729/Intel-82G965-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

Bev.

No Events found!