Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2016 04:00

eGPU for Dell XPS One 2710

Hello.

I have a Dell XPS One 2710. Generally it is a great piece of hardware except low class GPU. 

Can you advise if I can use existing miniPCI–e port to plug external GPU? I know that it is generally possible but did you see the working configuration? Any pitfalls or potential problems?

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 05:00

They wouldn't work as EGPU because the chipset does not support multiple GPU's.  This is not an SLI motherboard.   Typical EGPU is thunderbolt which is an entirely different chipset AND there are Driver issues even on mac pro and macbook pro systems.

The 2710 is not an IMAC.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 1st, 2016 15:00

I have never heard of an external GPU that could connect directly to an internal motherboard socket? Where on the XPS One 2710 motherboard would an external GPU connect? If you could connect, the back cover would have to remain off?

3 Posts

December 1st, 2016 23:00

>>Where on the XPS One 2710 motherboard would an external GPU connect

Theoretically there are 3 miniPCI ports on the board (6, 7, 16 on your scheme). Yes they should be exposed outside. It is not a problem by itself.

But would they work with eGPU? That's the question.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 06:00

Got your point. Thank you for the answer.

Seems it's time to buy PS4 after all ))

4 Posts

April 24th, 2017 19:00

There are many different ways to connect an eGPU - Thunderbolt just being one of them. There are kits that allow you to connect an eGPU to a mini PCIe port on the motherboard. To my knowledge, this does not require SLI.

4 Posts

April 24th, 2017 19:00

This is done all the time with laptops and works by plugging a cable into the mini PCIe port (typically by removing the WiFi card) using kits like these:

https://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html

I don't see why this would not work with the XPS 2710. There are heaps of tutorials on YouTube for people breathing new life into old laptops in this way. And in combination with a decent eGPU, the 2710 would form a great gaming PC. 

It's a shame that Dell built a low-spec GPU into the 2710 to start with and does not even offer an upgrade path other than using an eGPU.

More modern PCs/laptops that have a Thunderbolt socket (typically in the form of an USB type C socket), can also connect an eGPU via Thunderbolt. But that's not an option with the XPS 2710.  

No Events found!