Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2016 19:00

error 2000-0142

So I got the typical bricked motherboard from the dell bios update( aprox 1.5yr ago) I just installed a refurbished motherboard same CN-07JNHO info stickers. Started machine and upon loading i got the "reboot & select proper boot device" request. I rebooted w/ f12 and got into the bios page. It had the hard drive to boot listed 4th so i moved it to 1st..saved reboot same thing. Double checked my hard drive wires were plugged in 3rd try ..same results. Did a ePSA check and got an error code 2000-0142 as hard drive 0...like it's not finding it? I'll post pics to assist and any help is appreciated!

error code# 2000-0142 validation# 114880

History***

Prior to sticking the couple thousand dollar paper weight in the closet...it would give the beep codes during start up and never get to the desk top screen...i did a few hard reset bios with swaping the clips on the pins / changed MB battery ect and it would sometimes fire up and be playable until it got shut off from power outage or an update ect and during boot up it was always the problem with loading bios. I got that to last for a few months...until finally nothing helped it load the bios.

Alienware Aurora R4

service tag#

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

(refurbished MB)  (old MB#

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

)

i7-3930K    CPU 3.20GHz

windows 7 64bit OP

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 13th, 2016 12:00

2000-0142 = Drive Self Test failed

You're probably going to have to replace the hard drive...

6 Posts

July 14th, 2016 11:00

update*

I moved the hard drive to another slot..and got the same results. So then I switched the boot up mode from Legacy to UEFI and it did load up everything and is working atm. It appears to be noticeably slower though. Slower i mean when you try to open programs ect it has to "think" a while 1st. So I guess that my hard drive is not bad and the replacement motherboard is good. There was a "check up" that poped up and everything except the hard drive seemed ok.

I found this post so i'll try to dig further when i can :

What it is saying is that you have a bad sector in the hard drive. You might or might not have a bad sector. Dell pc check up center is not always reliable. If this were my pc, I would bring up check disc and make sure you put the check marks in to fix errors and in the scan for and attemp recovery of bad sectors. Run that. If there are bad sectors in the hard drive it will tell you.

To find the check disc, go to your start menu, computer, local disc c and right click on c drive. Click on properties, A new box will appear and click the tools tab at the top. Click on error checking, put the two check marks in, and finally start. A new box will ask if you want to schedule disc check, click this.

When it finishes, it will tell you if there are bad sectors. Bad sectors are areas that have gone bad in the hard drive. You may need to replace your hard drive if this is true. If it finds no bad sectors you will know that the Dell check up gave you a false reading, and you will not need a new hard drive.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 14th, 2016 14:00

2000-0142 is not the error for bad sectors -- it means the drive is failing its built in poweron self test.  It IS possible to temporarily hide the symptoms of certain failure modes with a format-reinstall, but the fact that you're seeing slow performance means the drive is trying multiple reads/writes -- that is, it's on borrowed time.

6 Posts

July 14th, 2016 17:00

Ty all for the info!

6 Posts

July 14th, 2016 17:00

do i need to stick with another Dell Hard Drive or does it matter? Their prices are so much more I think but if its the safe* way to go then so be it.

This whole system is unbelievable that's its failing seeing as it costed all together $3500 and it didn't last 2yrs....just long enough to get outa warranty*

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 15th, 2016 12:00

You never mentioned the PC model or version of Windows...

You can buy a new HDD from anywhere, so shop around. Without knowing what system this is, you probably need a SATA 3 HDD, but check the specs for your system to see if it's a 2.5" or 3.5" drive.

As for drive capacity, that depends on the chipset but you probably can go up to at least 1T without problems. Just do your own homework.

You might consider a solid state drive (SSD), but they tend to have smaller capacity and are more expensive per GB. And you'd probably want a secondary HDD for file storage.

6 Posts

July 17th, 2016 10:00

Its a 2012 desktop Alienware Aurora R4 with Win 7 64bit atm. I found a nice 1Tb hdss + Win 10 on amazon for a total of $135  so I'll prolly just go with that. The current hd is a Seagate 1T 7200 .12  Chipset Intel® X79 Express Chipset (Intel® BD82X79 PCH)  Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six Core (12M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Following configurations can be used:

4x 3.5" SATA I/II/III Hard Drive

4x 2.5" SATA I/II/III Solid State or Regular Drives (2.5" drives requires a special cradle that is not included with the system.Only 2 Hard Drives will work at SATA III Speeds)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 17th, 2016 19:00

You don't have to buy Win 10, as long as you install the new drive and upgrade to Win 10 before July 29th.

You can download the ISO file to create your own bootable Win 10 installation media for free from the MS site to do your upgrade. Win 10 should recognize the Win 7 product key in BIOS and allow you to install and activate Win 10, as long as you do it before the 29th deadline for free upgrading.

6 Posts

July 18th, 2016 07:00

Oh ok ty. I read that the windows 7 i have is tied to my original motherboard and i had to swap that out, in the reading it suggested that to do a HD swap also the win7 key info would not recognize on a new HD due to the new motherboard.

No Events found!